Sailing Magnolia

03 September 2017 | Brunswick
05 August 2017 | Brunswick, GA
15 July 2017 | Brunswick, GA
12 July 2017 | Brunswick, GA
15 June 2017

40th Birthday Sail

05 August 2017 | Brunswick, GA
Partly Sunny with 10 knots of wind
Today we celebrated my birthday on the boat sailing with the family. I could not think of anywhere else I would rather be. the weather was perfect to head out into the river for a nice sail. I was nervous all morning until we pulled away from the dock. I still get a bit anxious of the thought about going sailing. I am sure this will go away with experience.

We motored our way under the bridge and then got into position to hoist the main sail. This was the first time Margaret and I hoisted the sail by ourselves. We learned a few valuable lessons. When hoisting the sail watch out for the batons getting caught in the lazy jacks. The boat must be pointed into the wind at all times. After a few attempts Margaret get the main sail up and then we were underway. We turned to engine off and sailed under the main sail for a while. We started to get our confidence and put out about 50% of the Genoa. We did not want to have too much sail out in case the wind picked up and we keeled over too much. Normally this would not be an issue but we did not want to scare the kids!

Lilly was in charge of the "Ginny" sheet on the windward side while Margaret too leeward. When it was time to "tackle" as Lilly called it, she released the sheet form the winch while Margaret took control of the sail trim. We "tackled" about 5 or 6 times before we realized the weather was going to get us. There were storms predicted in the afternoon so we did not want to risk it.

After we sailed for a few hours we brought in all the sail without incident. No sooner did we drop the main the wind picked up to 20 knots. Glad we did not have the sails out. We got to experience what Magnolia could do under sail. It felt good and we were getting the hang of it. We are looking forward to our next sailing trip to take it to the next level. We are getting comfortable around the docks. We can bring the boat in and out with any issues. It still makes me nervous but I guess that is a good thing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Magnolia
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 432
Hailing Port: Atlanta, GA
Crew: Chris, Margaret, Lilly, Miles, & Maddie
About:
Our family is starting our next adventure. Chris and Margaret who are familiar with living an adventurous life are providing the children Lilly (6) and Miles (4) new and different type of family adventure. [...]
Extra: We plan to travel the seas in search of remote places while teaching our children about living simply and pursuing your life's dream. Magnolia represents our "Life's Dream Realized". We will "Explore, Dream, and Discover" new places and experiences together as a family.