Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away

05 August 2014 | All Over
08 May 2014 | Brunswick, GA
23 April 2014 | Marathon, FL (but not for long?)
13 April 2014 | Marathon, FL
25 March 2014 | Marathon, FL
18 March 2014 | Marathon, FL
10 March 2014 | Marathon, FL
05 March 2014 | Marathon, FL
02 March 2014 | Marathon, FL
24 February 2014 | Marathon, FL
14 February 2014 | Marathon, FL
03 February 2014 | Boot Key Harbor, FL
08 January 2014 | Marathon, FL
01 January 2014 | Boot Key Harbor, FL
26 December 2013 | Boot Key Harbor, FL
21 December 2013 | Marathon, FL
16 December 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
13 December 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
05 December 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
04 December 2013 | St. Augustine, FL

Navigator Notes

05 December 2013 | Fort Pierce, FL
Donna
Yesterday, the winds were forecast (by NOAA) for 10-15kts out of the south with 2-3' seas. Since we were heading south, it wasn't going to be a comfortable ride. Plan A was to go outside down to Ponce de Leon inlet at New Smyrna Beach, a 60-miles trip. Plan B was to go inside, via the ICW. Plan C was to by-pass Ponce de Leon, round Cape Canaveral and continue on to Fort Pierce, a 167-mile trip. As yesterday progressed, we kept comparing NOAA's forecast with Passageweather.com, which called for 5-10 knots and 1/2 to 1-foot seas. With each weather update, we would alternate between the three destination options. NOAA was also calling for dense fog along our route, which would take us about three miles offshore. We set the alarm for 0530 and would make a final decision at that time.

Morning came early, but, there was no wind or fog, so, we heading outside. We opted for Plan A and, once we passed the outer bell buoy at St. Augustine, we found that Passage Weather was more accurate. The seas were relatively flat with an occasional foot-high roller, making for a very comfortable ride. The winds were right on our nose, about 5-7 knots, so our boat speed was only 5.5 knots. No fog. The sunrise was spectacular! If we can't have 10-15 knots of wind on our beam and raise the sails, then, this is a great way to motor! We enjoyed the porpoises doing pirouettes off the starboard bow, the formations of pelicans skimming inches above the water, the jelly fish pulsating past us, and the swells undulating under us. We even saw two turtles sunning themselves on the surface. After 8 hours of no change in the weather, we changed to Plan C and headed to Fort Pierce, planning to arrive around noon on Friday. Scott and I will rotate through the night watches. All is well.

All was well. Several hours past the inlet at Ponce de Leon, shortly before midnight, the waves grew to 3-5 feet and winds increased to 15-20 knots, making for a very rolly ride. How rolly was it, you ask? It was so rolly I saw the sun come up three times in a matter of a minute. With each wave that lifted us up, I would see the sun peek over the horizon. Then, as we dropped down into the trough, it would disappear. Have you ever wondered what the ride would be like in a washing machine? We can tell you. Morgan described it as "the coolest sleepover ever!" We continued on, not wanting to enter the inlets in the dark and stormy night. Needless to say, we arrived at Fort Pierce tired but safe. Thankfully, no one was seasick. We plan to be here a week or so for maintenance and weather issues. All is well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Makarios
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 485
Hailing Port: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA
Crew: Scott and Donna Harris
About:
Scott has been sailing since he was a wee lad growing up in Orange County, California. Donna first learned to sail while dating Scott. Together, we have sailed in the Caribbean as far south as Nevis and St. Kitts, spending a lot of time in the Bahamas and the BVIs. [...]

Who we are...

Who: Scott and Donna Harris
Port: Lake Havasu City, Arizona, USA