20 May 2012 | 8N 140W
12 May 2012 | 225 Miles Off the West Coast of Mexico
11 May 2012 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas, Fr. Polynesia
17 April 2012 | 6N 126W
10 April 2012 | 200 Miles Off the West Coast of Mexico
09 April 2012 | 18N 119W ish
06 April 2012 | Punta de Mita, Nayarit, Mexico
19 March 2012
19 March 2012
19 March 2012

A Test of Sailblogs Feature on Airmail-NO Special Formatting

23 March 2012
This Polynesian kingdom, situated in the heart of the South Pacific, consists of over 160 coral and volcanic islands, of which only 36 are inhabited. Best known among sailors is the northern group of Vava'u, whose maze of islets and reefs provides one of the best cruising grounds in the South Pacific. In spite of Tonga's remoteness, facilities are surprisingly good and the setting up of a small industrial centre near the capital Nuku'alofa has encouraged several boating-related foreign companies to start operations in Tonga. A dangerous area to avoid by boats on passage to Fiji is Metis Shoal (19°11.4'S 174°51'W), where there has been intense volcanic activity. Following the May 2006 earthquake, some anchorages are no longer tenable due to the settling of the islands in the Ha'apai Group. The northern part of the Kingdom, in particular Niuatoputapu Island, suffered extensive damage following the 2009 Samoa earthquake and subsequent Tsunami. Approximately 192 families were left homeless. Visiting Cruisers can help greatly with clothing and bedding donations.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mersoleil
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 46
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Bev & Robbie Collins
About: Capt. Bev Collins -- USCG 50 Ton Master, gardener extraordinaire, sensational chef, always always cheerful, has committed the entire Oxford English Dictionary to memory.

Mate Robbie Collins -- baseball, sailing, baseball, sailing, baseball, sailing.....

Extra: Mersoleil is a cutter rig, center-cockpit 46' Hylas. She is sea-kindly, but a tough competitor in heavy weather. She is our home and refuge and our chariot to the people and cultures we long to meet.

Who Are We?

Who: Bev & Robbie Collins
Port: Seattle, WA
Sailing Mersoleil Around the World 2011 - 2012