Mystic Star Points South

Mystic Star Sailing Adventures in Florida and the Bahamas

26 April 2023
21 April 2023 | Core Creek
26 March 2023 | Hopetown, Abacos
26 February 2023 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
25 January 2023 | Big Majors Spot
03 January 2023 | Fort Pierce
10 November 2022 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
29 April 2021 | Rock Hall, MD
12 April 2021 | Savannah, GA
22 March 2021 | Fort Pierce, Florida
15 December 2020 | Fort Pierce, Florida
13 November 2020 | Myrtle Beach SC
02 May 2019
19 April 2019 | Georgetown, South Carolina
29 March 2019 | Hopetown
07 March 2019 | Black Point Return
11 February 2019 | Little Bay - Great Guana Cay
22 January 2019 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
12 January 2019 | Spanish Wells
30 December 2018 | Key Biscayne, Outside Noname Harbor

First week in Georgetown area

21 November 2016 | Sand Dollar Beach. Elizabeth Harbour
Nov 13, Sunday: Left slip at 0900 and motored out the entrance easily against 15 kts of ENE winds allaying our concerns about navigating the entrance in those conditions. Then had a nice sail down the coast with 2 reef main and solent in the 20+ kts apparent wind to arrive off Conch Cay Cut later in the AM. Motored our way through the reefs into Elizabeth Harbour, poked into Gavota Bay on Stocking Is for a look by the "Chat & Chill" then continued on to a spot off "Sand Dollar Beach" where we anchored by 1215. Only one other boat here, "Elza" whos's crew we met later. Launched the dinghy and had a swim. Sunny with a pleasant 15 kt breeze and temperature around 80. Just about perfect!

Nov 14, Monday: Sunny and warm! The crew spent the morning cleaning up the boat for arrival of Donna by air. Up anchor around noon and motored over to near Georgetown. All aboard for dinghy trip to town. Walked around investigating stores, found a bite to eat at the "Town Café" a truly local spot where we had a nice fried fish lunch. Chilled aboard in the PM then back to the restaurant/bar "Blu" above the Georgetown Yacht Club for a light meal & drinks. The Yacht club seems to have been extensively damaged by hurricane Matthew, with most of its docks broken up. I learned later that the gas dock was still intact and available for refueling. Donna arrived by taxi to be dropped at the Exuma Market near the dinghy dock at 1900. All back aboard for a champagne toast on our safe arrival here in the Bahamas (courtesy of Bart & Bev, Pleasure's Mine for their bon voyage gift!).

Nov 15, Tuesday: Sunny, light air AM. Donna & I went ashore for a few provisions then picked up and motored down the harbor to a spot in the lee of Elizabeth Is by 10:40. Good snorkeling spot on coral heads towards shore from our position. Many reef fish, mostly juvenile versions of all the familiars and good small samples of soft & hard corals, sponges. Later in the afternoon picked up and moved to anchor off of the Chat & Chill. John & I toured the beach and lagoon behind by dinghy. Later we all went ashore at 1730 for drinks and dinner at Chat & Chill--we were the only ones there! By the time we left at 1830 in the dark, the place was just about closing down! A calm nice evening.

Nov 16, Wednesday: Moved back to spot off Sand Dollar Beach. Four of us went ashore for a hike across Stocking Island. Randy stayed aboard. Nice trail to opposite side with land crabs stirring in the underbrush on the way. Trail came to a bluff with ocean beach below. We walked along the bluff to the SE then back inland and across again to a low lying spot on the western shore. There we found ruins of what must have been an extensive beach bar set up with palopa's and decks, now all destroyed from either recent or previous hurricanes. Not much beach to walk on at high tide but plenty of beautiful sand at low. Back to boat to arrange for airport transport tomorrow & print boarding passes, etc. Chilled out for last day for crew here in the islands. Christiaan and Elise of ELZA stopped by and invited us to dinner Friday.

Nov 17, Thursday: Crew packed up and readied for water taxi ride to town. Went off without incident and sad to see our intrepid crew depart after 12 days aboard Mystic Star. It seemed pretty empty aboard with our friends now off to home. Many thanks to our friends John, Randy and Richard for helping us get Mystic Star here to her winter destination so efficiently! We counted nine boats here at Sand Dollar beach as more arrivals from the north came to anchor. We worked aboard to change from offshore readiness to coastal cruising mode, then went for a walk on the beautiful beach with dinner aboard after sunset.

Nov 18, Friday: Stayed put at anchor. Very breezy today with winds 15-20 kts. Dingied the 1.4 nm to town for errands. We went to the Batelco offices to obtain a SIM card for the phone and a data plan for internet access. Found a nice lunch at the Driftwood Café, then on to the main market for provisions. The market was well stocked from deliveries the previous day, so there were no shortages of any needed items. The trip back upwind to the boat was a wet ride. We were ready for it but would probably do it differently next time! In the late afternoon we dinghied over to ELZA for a fine dining experience created by Elise and chef Christiaan. It was quite the fine three course meal served elegantly in the cockpit, tablecloth & all! We learned much in speaking with them. They have been live-aboard cruisers in their "Elza" for the last 28 years, visiting many corners of the North Atlantic and are originally from the Netherlands.

Nov 19, Saturday: We decided to explore the northern half of Stocking Is so picked up anchor and moved the 1.6 nm to a beach off of the "Monument" on a 100 ft hill. Went ashore at a spot by ruins of a dock that served a beach bar in days gone by. Found the remnants of a nature trail to the ocean side and on up to a hill just north of Monument hill. Wandered around the trails in the heavy underbrush until making our way back to the harbor side beaches. There we found a strange large structure that seemed to be a public venue, all recently painted and in good shape with solar panels, etc., but was shuttered and obviously closed. There were no signs to indicate what might go on there.

Nov 20, Sunday: I took the dinghy to Lake Victoria to fill the dinghy tank and a spare tank with gasoline while Donna dealt with internet issues and getting communications set up. Then we hoisted anchor and headed north back out Conch Cay Cut and went for a leisurely sail down the outer coast of Stocking Is in about 8-12 kts of NE wind. I tried my luck at fishing with a lure trolling behind. Got a solid bite that took part of the lure, but a fish was not landed. We sailed our way into the southern entrance to Elizabeth harbor around Fowl and Guana Cays, then right up to our now favorite spot off of Sand Dollar Beach near ELZA by 1415. Swam. Nice sunset once again.

Nov 21, Monday: Stayed put while a weak cold front passed through. Only sprinkles of rain, not enough for a good rinsing. We've not had rain to speak of since arrival here. Today we got out the new water maker and got it going along with the generator for a good battery charge. The water maker worked well, making the specified 18.0 gal per hour of sweet fresh R/O water. Christiaan came by and offered his test device for a salinity check of the output which was nice, and checked out fine. We invited them over for Thanksgiving dinner, assuming we're all still here by then. Forecasts indicate poor conditions to try to move eastward until at least Friday, so looks like we will all be around.

Comments
Vessel Name: Mystic Star
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46 /2008 /Hull #37
Hailing Port: Rock Hall MD
Crew: Bill & Donna
About:
Sailing the Chesapeake for 38 years and the east coast of the US and Canada 2009 - present. We've sailed on "OPBs" to Bermuda, and to most of the Eastern Caribbean islands from the BVIs to Grenada. [...]
Extra:
2016: The first trip south in Nov 2016 involved an offshore passage direct from the Chesapeake to Georgetown, Exumas, in the Bahama Islands. Crew for this trip included experienced ocean sailors Randy, John & Richard. 2018: (Bill & Donna) We made the trip south this time with just the two [...]
Mystic Star's Photos - Main
A few pics upon arrival in Home Port Rock Hall MD
2 Photos
Created 29 April 2023
Highlights from Abacos to Florida and up the coast to North Carolina 2023
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2023
Sights from Eleuthera, Spanish Wells, Hopetown, Abacos
16 Photos
Created 2 April 2023
Scenes from Exumas, Long Island, Cat Island
25 Photos
Created 26 February 2023
Trip from Fort Pierce FL south to Miami, crossing to Berry Islands. East to Royal Island then south to Exumas: High Bourne Cay, Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Staniel Cay.
27 Photos
Created 25 January 2023
Pictures from our stay at Fort Pierce Marina from mid November to early January
22 Photos
Created 3 January 2023
Oct 24 thru Nov 10
16 Photos
Created 10 November 2022
April 12-28, 2021: Trip up the ICW from Savannah to home port Rock Hall, Second half of trip from Fort Pierce FL.
26 Photos
Created 4 May 2021
Travels from Fort Pierce to Savannah, April 1-11, 2021
29 Photos
Created 12 April 2021
Sightseeing on the Treasure Coast, Dec 2020 to March 2021
34 Photos
Created 29 March 2021
South Carolina to Fort Pierce Florida and two weeks at the marina
24 Photos
Created 15 December 2020
Mystic Star trip from Rock Hall MD to Myrtle Beach SC 11-3-2020 to 11-9-2020
7 Photos
Created 13 November 2020
Sailing & ICW to home in Rock Hall by May 1, 2019
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2019
Abacos, St Augustine FL, Georgetown SC
15 Photos
Created 20 April 2019
Bitter Guana Cay to Hopetown, Elbow Cay
18 Photos
Created 29 March 2019
Great Guana, Rudder Cut Cay, Georgetown Regatta, Conception Is, Lee Stocking Is
18 Photos
Created 9 March 2019
Northern Exumas - Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Cambridge Cay
15 Photos
Created 11 February 2019
Alabaster Bay to Rock Sound
11 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
11 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Trip from Charleston SC to Miami FL, Dec 11 to Dec 30. ICW and offshore legs
10 Photos
Created 30 December 2018
Trip South from Rock Hall MD to Florida 2018
3 Photos
Created 1 December 2018
ICW in South Carolina and on to North Carolina
11 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Arrival in St Augustine and trip to Fernandina Beach & Cumberland Island Georgia
10 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Last of the trip through Virginia & Maryland
3 Photos
Created 9 May 2017
Touring the Abacos by boat, car, bike, golf cart and on foot
30 Photos
Created 5 April 2017
Eleuthera touring by car & boat, then Spanish Wells and Harbor Island by fast ferry.
30 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
Touring Cat Island, on the beach at Little San Salvador aka Half Moon Cay, Marina at Davis Harbour, Eleuthera
17 Photos
Created 5 March 2017
Photos from our stay at Monument Beach, Georgetown then car tour of Long Island
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2017
Photos of places we visited in the Exumas, Dec 2016 - Jan 2017
8 Photos
Created 23 January 2017
Georgetown Bahamas area, Nov 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 November 2016