Mystic Star Points South

Mystic Star Sailing Adventures in Florida and the Bahamas

26 April 2023
21 April 2023 | Core Creek
26 March 2023 | Hopetown, Abacos
26 February 2023 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
25 January 2023 | Big Majors Spot
03 January 2023 | Fort Pierce
10 November 2022 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
29 April 2021 | Rock Hall, MD
12 April 2021 | Savannah, GA
22 March 2021 | Fort Pierce, Florida
15 December 2020 | Fort Pierce, Florida
13 November 2020 | Myrtle Beach SC
02 May 2019
19 April 2019 | Georgetown, South Carolina
29 March 2019 | Hopetown
07 March 2019 | Black Point Return
11 February 2019 | Little Bay - Great Guana Cay
22 January 2019 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
12 January 2019 | Spanish Wells
30 December 2018 | Key Biscayne, Outside Noname Harbor

More Exuma Park & N Exumas

05 January 2017 | Pipe Cay
Dec 21 - Jan 3 Wednesday we made the short sail back down the Exuma chain to Black Point Settlement. We explored the small town that boasted two restaurants and possibly the world's best laundromat for boaters. The laundromat was a nice clean facility with its own dinghy dock and shaded deck overlooking the harbor and 8 or 10 fairly new washers and dryers. It also contained a small hardware supply and a hair dresser, as well as showers for guests. We'll definitely be back once the need for a laundry run occurs. At DeShannon's we found pizza for lunch and met folks from s/v Blackthorn also anchored out in the harbor. We visited the small grocery store, but most fresh items were sold out. We learned that the place to obtain fresh baked bread was at a house behind Lorraine's restaurant where a nice elderly lady invites you in to her kitchen to select from various loaves that she's baked that day. We bought two and they were fresh and quite good. Back at the boat in the afternoon we then dinghied across the harbor to where Blackthorn lay at anchor and had a nice visit with Jim and Sue from Massachusetts. The next day we sailed the 9 mile trip back to Big Majors Spot and anchored right about where we had left from two days earlier. I answered a general radio call from a nearby boat that was requesting a coaxial cable connector for his VHF radio that he was troubleshooting and I was able to loan a few parts and a tester. At that point they kindly invited us to join their group of about 5 boats that was organizing a pot-luck on the beach for Christmas Day. Later in the week our second parts order arrived from Florida via the same efficient shipping service. Once I replaced the broken bolt that I had found earlier, the generator started right up and ran just fine. Hooray! Electricity for battery charging and water-making was once again plentiful! At that point in time, there could have been no better Christmas gift for the two of us. So we had a nice holiday, with a BBQ steak dinner for Christmas Eve and had a great time meeting folks and eating good food at the pot-luck on Sunday.
By Tuesday we were once again ready to go sailing and see new things. But not too far afield as we sailed on a broad reach just about 6 miles to a spot between rocky islets off the west coast of Pipe Cay. This was close to an abandoned man made harbor that was used by the US military as a long range navigation transmitter base during and after WWII. The system in use was known as DECCA and was a precursor to the LORAN systems developed later, and was obsolete by the 1980's. It had a massive concrete dock for a substantial vessel along with a boat ramp and a marked channel extending the 30 nm due westward to the 5,000 ft deep water of "The Tongue of the Ocean". There were several abandoned but sturdy steel buildings at the site. We walked across the island to the east side and found a vast area of tidal flats, dry at low tide. We then walked about a mile to the SE towards several anchored boats that looked like they were buried in sand from a distance. It turns out they were anchored in a narrow channel in the midst of the sand flats, but seemed as though we could have walked right up to them. Only one other boat [excluding the nearby superyacht] anchored nearby, namely Whitebird, who happened to be from Annapolis. We had them aboard for a visit and learned they keep their boat in the Rhode River, on the western shore of the Chesapeake, where we've visited many times over the years.
Wednesday we sailed a bit further north back into the Exuma Land & Sea Park and picked up a park mooring in the Cambridge Cay mooring field. The spot offered great protection from all directions which we appreciated since there was a forecast cold front moving in on Friday starting with very rare westerly winds clocking round to the more typical NE winds by Saturday. The tidal current swept through here at a good clip, so there was another reason to appreciate being on a mooring. The park moorings are mentioned as all being adequate for vessels up to 65 ft lengths with 6 ft drafts, with special ones for superyachts up to 150 ft. Navigation into the anchorage was a bit tricky with a pinch point between submerged coral reefs to port and exposed rocks to starboard--need to stay close to the rocks to avoid the reef and cross a bar that is barely 6 ft at low water. Prior to the incoming weather we had two beautiful days of light air which were great for exploring the area by dinghy and doing some snorkeling at favored park sites during times of slack water. Saturday the wind was back to its usual 20 kts from the east and we left the mooring and headed out and up to the NW on a fast broad reach under solent jib alone. We made about 20 nm by noon to our destination of Hawksbill Cay near the northern end of the park. This spot had about four unused moorings and plenty of room to anchor, so we chose to anchor. The shoreline featured three picturesque beaches separated by the jagged limestone bedrock. On two of them superyacht crews had set up tents and toys for their guests to enjoy during the day. I have been quite amazed by the number of superyachts we've seen in these parts. There are dozens of them for sure in size from 100 to 250 ft. or so and are often found anchored off in the deeper waters west of the favored anchorages along these northern Exumas, and send their tenders and jet skis about with guests to explore and enjoy the islands. Once anchored, we took a long dinghy ride to the north end of the Cay to follow trails to ruins of a "loyalist" settlement from 1785. Loyalists were individuals who sided with the British during the American Revolution and once things settled out as they did, some of them relocated themselves to the still British controlled Bahamas. The Russell family made a settlement along the NW shore of Hawksbill Cay and ruins of their dwellings that were occupied until the late 1800's can still be found amidst the thick undergrowth and rugged rocky terrain. All that remains are corners of small stone & mortar buildings, mortar that was made by baking and grinding conch shells which are so plentiful here.
New Year's Day we weighed anchor and sailed again on a fast broad reach, a short 5 nm up to Shroud Cay, still in the Exuma Park. Here we anchored near a park mooring field and eventually were joined by quite a fleet from sailboats to more super yachts, about a dozen in all. To celebrate the New Year we had a rack of lamb on the BBQ and a bottle of wine from home--which is getting to be rather scarce aboard Mystic Star! This Cay is rather different from others we've visited in that it is a ring of smaller islets with an internal marshy area that is a thick web of mangroves and sandy areas that are dry at low water. There are various channels through the mangroves that are fun to explore by dinghy as long as you pay attention to the state of the tide. One could get stranded if ventured too far and the tide falls away. We followed one winding channel to the eastern side of the island and found a small beach just inside a rapidly flowing cut to the ocean. A short hike to the top of a steep little ridge put us at what was called "Camp Driftwood" where once a man lived a sort of Robinson Crusoe existence back in the sixties to seventies. Then in the eighties supposedly the US DEA stationed agents there to keep track of comings and goings on the cays to the north where it was known that cocaine smuggling operations were being conducted. Now there is nothing left at the site except a park sign describing the place and a geodetic survey mark. Later in the day we picked up anchor and moved a bit further north to Normans Cay just outside of the Exuma Park boundaries. This was the cay made infamous in the eighties for its involvement in illicit drug trafficking, which ended by the early nineties. The western side of this cay featured a miles long continuous beach and protection from NNE to SSE wind directions. The next day walked the beach and found the only restaurant on the island, McDuff's, sort of a Tiki bar back from the beach a bit behind a couple of rental beach houses. Lunch there was good, and afterwards we took a long walk around an airstrip to the other side of the cay where a large construction project was underway to build a protected marina facility. A vast amount of excavation had been done, but no other construction had started, for a project supposed to be complete by springtime--didn't seem likely.
Wednesday the 4th brought unusual winds from the SSW. We took this opportunity for a long sail close hauled back to the southeast and made our way under full sail the 30 nm back to Pipe Cay beyond the southern end of the Exuma Park. The total distance we covered including tacking was 36 nm, and was one of the nicest sailing days of the trip so far. The winds were projected to stay from an unusual westerly quadrant so we chose to anchor off the east side of a small unnamed islet to the west of Pipe Cay which worked out well for the night. In the next few days we plan to do a little provisioning and laundry at Staniel Cay and Blackpoint respectively, then move to a cozy spot for a forecast front on Saturday night that is projected to bring several days of high winds from the north with the passing of a strong cold front through the islands.

Comments
Vessel Name: Mystic Star
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46 /2008 /Hull #37
Hailing Port: Rock Hall MD
Crew: Bill & Donna
About:
Sailing the Chesapeake for 38 years and the east coast of the US and Canada 2009 - present. We've sailed on "OPBs" to Bermuda, and to most of the Eastern Caribbean islands from the BVIs to Grenada. [...]
Extra:
2016: The first trip south in Nov 2016 involved an offshore passage direct from the Chesapeake to Georgetown, Exumas, in the Bahama Islands. Crew for this trip included experienced ocean sailors Randy, John & Richard. 2018: (Bill & Donna) We made the trip south this time with just the two [...]
Mystic Star's Photos - Main
A few pics upon arrival in Home Port Rock Hall MD
2 Photos
Created 29 April 2023
Highlights from Abacos to Florida and up the coast to North Carolina 2023
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2023
Sights from Eleuthera, Spanish Wells, Hopetown, Abacos
16 Photos
Created 2 April 2023
Scenes from Exumas, Long Island, Cat Island
25 Photos
Created 26 February 2023
Trip from Fort Pierce FL south to Miami, crossing to Berry Islands. East to Royal Island then south to Exumas: High Bourne Cay, Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Staniel Cay.
27 Photos
Created 25 January 2023
Pictures from our stay at Fort Pierce Marina from mid November to early January
22 Photos
Created 3 January 2023
Oct 24 thru Nov 10
16 Photos
Created 10 November 2022
April 12-28, 2021: Trip up the ICW from Savannah to home port Rock Hall, Second half of trip from Fort Pierce FL.
26 Photos
Created 4 May 2021
Travels from Fort Pierce to Savannah, April 1-11, 2021
29 Photos
Created 12 April 2021
Sightseeing on the Treasure Coast, Dec 2020 to March 2021
34 Photos
Created 29 March 2021
South Carolina to Fort Pierce Florida and two weeks at the marina
24 Photos
Created 15 December 2020
Mystic Star trip from Rock Hall MD to Myrtle Beach SC 11-3-2020 to 11-9-2020
7 Photos
Created 13 November 2020
Sailing & ICW to home in Rock Hall by May 1, 2019
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2019
Abacos, St Augustine FL, Georgetown SC
15 Photos
Created 20 April 2019
Bitter Guana Cay to Hopetown, Elbow Cay
18 Photos
Created 29 March 2019
Great Guana, Rudder Cut Cay, Georgetown Regatta, Conception Is, Lee Stocking Is
18 Photos
Created 9 March 2019
Northern Exumas - Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Cambridge Cay
15 Photos
Created 11 February 2019
Alabaster Bay to Rock Sound
11 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
11 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Trip from Charleston SC to Miami FL, Dec 11 to Dec 30. ICW and offshore legs
10 Photos
Created 30 December 2018
Trip South from Rock Hall MD to Florida 2018
3 Photos
Created 1 December 2018
ICW in South Carolina and on to North Carolina
11 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Arrival in St Augustine and trip to Fernandina Beach & Cumberland Island Georgia
10 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Last of the trip through Virginia & Maryland
3 Photos
Created 9 May 2017
Touring the Abacos by boat, car, bike, golf cart and on foot
30 Photos
Created 5 April 2017
Eleuthera touring by car & boat, then Spanish Wells and Harbor Island by fast ferry.
30 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
Touring Cat Island, on the beach at Little San Salvador aka Half Moon Cay, Marina at Davis Harbour, Eleuthera
17 Photos
Created 5 March 2017
Photos from our stay at Monument Beach, Georgetown then car tour of Long Island
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2017
Photos of places we visited in the Exumas, Dec 2016 - Jan 2017
8 Photos
Created 23 January 2017
Georgetown Bahamas area, Nov 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 November 2016