Mystic Star Points South

Mystic Star Sailing Adventures in Florida and the Bahamas

26 April 2023
21 April 2023 | Core Creek
26 March 2023 | Hopetown, Abacos
26 February 2023 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
25 January 2023 | Big Majors Spot
03 January 2023 | Fort Pierce
10 November 2022 | Jekyll Island, Georgia
29 April 2021 | Rock Hall, MD
12 April 2021 | Savannah, GA
22 March 2021 | Fort Pierce, Florida
15 December 2020 | Fort Pierce, Florida
13 November 2020 | Myrtle Beach SC
02 May 2019
19 April 2019 | Georgetown, South Carolina
29 March 2019 | Hopetown
07 March 2019 | Black Point Return
11 February 2019 | Little Bay - Great Guana Cay
22 January 2019 | Rock Sound, Eleuthera
12 January 2019 | Spanish Wells
30 December 2018 | Key Biscayne, Outside Noname Harbor

The Abacos to Green Turtle Cay

05 April 2017 | White Sound, Green Turtle Cay
March 18 - April 5: Saturday the 18th we checked the weather and headed out early from Royal Island for the trip north to the Abacos. We passed west of the shoals that lie north of Royal Island and Spanish Wells then due north to the southern entrance to the Sea of Abaco about 50 nm distant. The winds were up and more forward of the beam than ideal but we were able to sail on a close reach then close hauled with a reefed main and solent jib to a point just short of the entrance cut. The body of water is known as the New Providence Channel and can have significant shipping going through it. We encountered little of that but a westward flowing current turned our reach into a beat for most of the trip. At the beginning of the trip as we crossed off of the banks and into deeper ocean we had the fishing line trolling and had a big strike. The line was screeching out with maximum drag and at the same time we're in some very boisterous seas, then the bilge indicator went on and stayed on--too much happening at once! A small amount of seas over the bow had caused us to take on some water through the anchor's hawse pipe, but nothing to worry about (especially with a bigger secondary bilge pump and two manual pumps set to go). The automatic pump was failing to empty it out, however, and had to be shut off until it could be addressed later. And the fish was just too much to reel in and after a few minutes of trying to play it, the line snapped taking the lure & leader with it. Since it was 80 lb test line, it had to be something big...probably bigger than we would have wanted to deal with, we'd like to think...maybe a shark. The rest of the trip was a bit of a slog to windward but a good sail. The entrance cut near Little Harbor was choppy but not a problem since it was perpendicular to the wind and waves. Once inside we found a secure anchorage in the north end of "The Bight of Old Robinson" to be situated to get into Little Harbor with the high tide tomorrow.
Near Midday we headed over to Little Harbor and just made it across the infamous entrance bar with a slight touch on the sand 1 hour before high tide. We snagged a mooring there amidst a flood of competitors and went ashore to check out Pete's Pub, the only establishment in the harbor. The place is famous for its classic beach bar and bronze sculpture gallery and foundry. We enjoyed a dinner there as well as the gallery and boardwalk to the ocean beach. The next day we left again just before high tide and had more water and no trouble getting across the bar. That afternoon we got settled at a peaceful anchorage off of Lynyard Cay, a higher wooded long island with only a few houses. Tuesday (21st) we headed across the southern Sea of Abaco to the Angel Cays, site of a new land and marine park for some exploration by dinghy. Once there we took a long dinghy cruise around Deep Sea Cay where we saw eagle rays near a blue hole at the mouth and shallow mangrove shores in depths of 1-2 ft for several miles along the west side. The cay to the north was the site of a lumber industry port from the 1950s that is now barely discernable. The local pine forests were harvested commercially at that time and shipped out via barges there at Snake Cay. Today the pine forests seem to have mostly regrown and the tall spindly Bahamian Pines seem to virtually cover the island of Great Abaco, giving it a very different character than the other cays to the south. After our dinghy excursion we moved Mystic Star over to Hope Town through another entrance only accessible to us at above half tide. Hope Town is a quaint cozy harbor with brightly painted houses and narrow roads, kind of reminds you of a misplaced New England village. The harbor is full of close spaced moorings which proved too much in demand for us to find one available, so we went back outside and anchored in a spot west of the [Elbow] cay. We were just west of the famous light house there that still operates using hand wound rotation mechanism and a kerosene lantern behind a Fresnel lens. Once back in the harbor via dinghy we toured the lighthouse grounds and tower that is maintained by volunteers. It was a great view on a beautiful day from the top of the tower and worth the 100+ step climb up the spiral staircase. We enjoyed a walk around town and dinner at Capt Jack's on the water. The next day we did some more touring of the harbor by dinghy and walks around town including a lunch at the beautiful Hope Town Harbour Lodge overlooking the ocean beach.
Later in the day we made the short trip over to the major town of Marsh Harbour and anchored where we stayed for three nights during a frontal passage. We again got together with Gail & Laura on Fancy Free who were also in the harbor at the time. The town is kind of spread out so long walks were involved to visit the marine supply and the first US style supermarket that we've encountered since leaving home. Saturday (the 25th) we headed back over towards Elbow Cay and anchored near the south end in "Aunt Pat's Bay" near a beach known as "Tahiti Beach". Sunday we dinghied from there into White Sound and a marina/lodge where we rented bikes and toured the entire island in a couple of hours. There were more ups and downs on this cay than might be apparent at first glance, so we really got a good workout. In the process we found a good sports bar to watch Carolina make it into the Final Four in the NCAA basketball tournament by winning over Kentucky.
Monday (27th) we were on the move again for a short sail to Man o War Cay. Once again we tried for a spot in the crowded inner mooring field with no luck, so made our way to a nice spot on the SW coast of the cay and visited the town by dinghy. This is another quaint harbor but more involved in boat building and fishing than Hope Town and the houses are colorful but feature less of the fancy wood work trim. The boat building (now in fiberglass) is still going strong at the harbor's edge and has a long history here. We took a long walk around the island and town and met by chance with Scott and Kitty of "Tamure" whom Donna had met years ago while crewing with Jill and Parker aboard "Tootsie", both widely traveled Valiant sailboats. We also enjoyed a visit to Albury's Sail Loft on the water there where seamstresses were actively putting out sturdy and artful canvas bags of all shapes and sizes.
Tuesday we left the anchorage at Man o War Cay and attempted to exit the cut to the ocean north of that island. It proved to be rougher than I expected in part due to ebb tide against ocean swell, so we thought better of it and turned around and headed back into the calmer waters of the Sea of Abaco. From there we went back into the all-around protection of Marsh Harbour where we stayed for a few more days and booked a SCUBA dive trip on a dive boat from a nearby marina. The dives south of Scotland cay and east of Fowl cay were nice in relatively shallow water (18-28 ft), nothing spectacular but featured large coral heads with deep overhangs and caverns to look in. The shallow depths and clear water light up the reef areas for great colors. By Thursday (30th) we were headed out again this time up the Sea of Abaco, first to anchor off of Water Cay for lunch and to run the watermaker, then on to the large marina at Treasure Cay for a two night stay. This was a convenient stop to do laundry and rent a car for the day to tour the island of Great Abaco. Friday we drove the length of the island to the south (about 60 miles) and noticed the roads were long and straight passing through vast areas of pine forest without any signs of development or even ruins of old places. We visited the settlement of Cherokee in the southeast with its famous 'longest pier' in the Bahamas, a nice quiet and very isolated community on the coast there. Also stopped by the new development of "Schooner Bay" with its fancy new homes and facilities, with lots of 'room for expansion' shall we say. At the end of the road we found Nancy's Bar and restaurant in the small community of Sandy Point at the southwest most point of Great Abaco. There we had an excellent cracked lobster lunch as recommended to us by our friend Parker (of Tootsie) who had spent a number of winter seasons here in the Abacos. From the beach there in the distance we could see one of the Disney cruise ships that was moored off its private "Castaway Island" for guests to enjoy time on the beach there.
By Saturday (April 1st) we were off again, this time to visit Great Guana Cay on the opposite side of the Sea of Abaco. There we found a mooring in Fishers Bay for the calm night and went ashore at the Orchid Bay marina in Settlement Harbour where we rented a golf cart to tour the island and to visit the famous "Nipper's" beach bar on the ocean side. The cart ride was OK but limited by the exclusive developments at both the north and south ends of the island with gated entries and guards not allowing casual visitors like us. And to top it off, we were stopped by an officer who was ready to give us a citation for an expired registration sticker on the cart! Fortunately he merely asked us to inform the rental people to contact him about the matter. Aside from that we had a nice visit to a beautiful new restaurant/bar up on the high ground overlooking the Sea of Abaco, "Mermaids" which had just opened a few weeks before. Hopefully they'll get a few more visitors in the weeks ahead as we were the only ones there at the time, and just found the place by chance. The next day we were at Nipper's for the Sunday pig roast which was good, then off to make our way around "the whale" late in the afternoon. The Whale Cay passage is an area where boats leave the Sea of Abaco to go around Whale Cay with the open ocean swell coming in from the northeast. One needs to verify that conditions are favorable before getting into this area as the seas are rarely less than 3 - 4 feet and are on the beam which tends to cause heavy rolling. It can be much more dramatic than that with big rolling waves that can be tough to negotiate. Once inside the narrow cut to the north, one is back on the relative calm of the banks with outlying cays and reefs to shield you from the ocean swell. We had a very good day for this and the passage was a non-event. Along the way, at anchor near the huge and exclusive Baker's Bay resort facility, we sailed past the second largest private yacht in the world "Eclipse" at 533 ft LOA, quite a sight!
Once north of the Whale, we made our way to Green Turtle Cay and its very protected inner harbor of White Sound. We were able to get a good solid mooring in there where we planned to stay for up to a week while we explored the cay and watched the weather for a good time to sail north towards home. The harbor does not have the best holding for anchoring and a front was expected later in the week, so we were glad to get a deal on a week's stay on the mooring. While here we enjoyed touring the island by dinghy and by rental golf cart shared with our friends from Fancy Free. The town of New Plymouth at the other end of the island is another quaint little village, but seems to have an overabundance of good little restaurants and several well stocked grocery stores, more so than anywhere we've been so far in these islands. As I write the harbor is now filling up with boats trying to anchor in the few open spaces left and taking slips at the marina here. It looks as though there will be a good window to sail towards Florida and points north from here starting about Sunday (the 9th), so we'll be getting ready for that move in the coming days. There are lots of other boats here with something similar planned.

Comments
Vessel Name: Mystic Star
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 46 /2008 /Hull #37
Hailing Port: Rock Hall MD
Crew: Bill & Donna
About:
Sailing the Chesapeake for 38 years and the east coast of the US and Canada 2009 - present. We've sailed on "OPBs" to Bermuda, and to most of the Eastern Caribbean islands from the BVIs to Grenada. [...]
Extra:
2016: The first trip south in Nov 2016 involved an offshore passage direct from the Chesapeake to Georgetown, Exumas, in the Bahama Islands. Crew for this trip included experienced ocean sailors Randy, John & Richard. 2018: (Bill & Donna) We made the trip south this time with just the two [...]
Mystic Star's Photos - Main
A few pics upon arrival in Home Port Rock Hall MD
2 Photos
Created 29 April 2023
Highlights from Abacos to Florida and up the coast to North Carolina 2023
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2023
Sights from Eleuthera, Spanish Wells, Hopetown, Abacos
16 Photos
Created 2 April 2023
Scenes from Exumas, Long Island, Cat Island
25 Photos
Created 26 February 2023
Trip from Fort Pierce FL south to Miami, crossing to Berry Islands. East to Royal Island then south to Exumas: High Bourne Cay, Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Staniel Cay.
27 Photos
Created 25 January 2023
Pictures from our stay at Fort Pierce Marina from mid November to early January
22 Photos
Created 3 January 2023
Oct 24 thru Nov 10
16 Photos
Created 10 November 2022
April 12-28, 2021: Trip up the ICW from Savannah to home port Rock Hall, Second half of trip from Fort Pierce FL.
26 Photos
Created 4 May 2021
Travels from Fort Pierce to Savannah, April 1-11, 2021
29 Photos
Created 12 April 2021
Sightseeing on the Treasure Coast, Dec 2020 to March 2021
34 Photos
Created 29 March 2021
South Carolina to Fort Pierce Florida and two weeks at the marina
24 Photos
Created 15 December 2020
Mystic Star trip from Rock Hall MD to Myrtle Beach SC 11-3-2020 to 11-9-2020
7 Photos
Created 13 November 2020
Sailing & ICW to home in Rock Hall by May 1, 2019
10 Photos
Created 5 May 2019
Abacos, St Augustine FL, Georgetown SC
15 Photos
Created 20 April 2019
Bitter Guana Cay to Hopetown, Elbow Cay
18 Photos
Created 29 March 2019
Great Guana, Rudder Cut Cay, Georgetown Regatta, Conception Is, Lee Stocking Is
18 Photos
Created 9 March 2019
Northern Exumas - Shroud Cay, Warderick Wells, Cambridge Cay
15 Photos
Created 11 February 2019
Alabaster Bay to Rock Sound
11 Photos
Created 22 January 2019
11 Photos
Created 13 January 2019
Trip from Charleston SC to Miami FL, Dec 11 to Dec 30. ICW and offshore legs
10 Photos
Created 30 December 2018
Trip South from Rock Hall MD to Florida 2018
3 Photos
Created 1 December 2018
ICW in South Carolina and on to North Carolina
11 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Arrival in St Augustine and trip to Fernandina Beach & Cumberland Island Georgia
10 Photos
Created 31 May 2017
Last of the trip through Virginia & Maryland
3 Photos
Created 9 May 2017
Touring the Abacos by boat, car, bike, golf cart and on foot
30 Photos
Created 5 April 2017
Eleuthera touring by car & boat, then Spanish Wells and Harbor Island by fast ferry.
30 Photos
Created 28 March 2017
Touring Cat Island, on the beach at Little San Salvador aka Half Moon Cay, Marina at Davis Harbour, Eleuthera
17 Photos
Created 5 March 2017
Photos from our stay at Monument Beach, Georgetown then car tour of Long Island
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2017
Photos of places we visited in the Exumas, Dec 2016 - Jan 2017
8 Photos
Created 23 January 2017
Georgetown Bahamas area, Nov 2016
7 Photos
Created 27 November 2016