s/v Narnia

The Adventures of Scotty, Sue and Dan aboard Narnia

Out with the Old, In with the New

Phase 1 of Narnia's electronics refit is well underway. Info on the refit is here and here.

This week we removed the old Simrad CR34 Chart Plotter, IS12 Wind Gauge and the IS12 Depth Gauge. We are keeping the Auto-Pilot so had to retain the AP-16 control head. We also removed the associated NavPods. We could have used StarBoard to reface/reuse the lower pod, but decided to bite the the bullet now and get one pre-cut for the B&G Zeus 3s 9.

As the old system was comprised of a mix of ROBNET (autopilot, rate compass, rudder sensor), SIMNET (autopilot, masthead wind, VHF/DSC), NMEA0183 (AIS, SSB, GPS) and proprietary direct wire (Speed, Log, Depth, RADAR) networks, and the new B&G systems are all NMEA 2000 and ethernet, we have get creative to make sure everything still works while Narnia is in the transition state.

The depth, speed, log, masthead wind and RADAR will be changed out in phase 2 when Narnia is hauled in April 2022. We will use the built in GPS on the Zeus 3s for now. SIMNET and NMEA2000 use the same protocol so only need an adapter cable.

More to come, in the meantime enjoy the pictures.

Before and After








Comments