Pegasus - UK to Australia

Who: Sally and Hamish
Port: Lymington, UK
27 December 2010 | Gold Coast, Australia
11 October 2010 | Albufeira, Portugal
06 September 2010 | Portugal
28 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
27 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
23 August 2010 | Portimao, Portugal
12 August 2010 | Cascais, Portugal
10 August 2010 | Camarinas, Spain
08 August 2010 | Camarinas, Spain
02 August 2010 | Portsmouth
24 July 2010 | Lymington
23 July 2010 | Lymington, UK
20 July 2010 | Lymington
17 June 2010
16 June 2010 | Lymington
07 June 2010
10 May 2010
27 April 2010 | London, UK
20 April 2010 | Lymington, UK
09 April 2010 | London, UK

Camarinas to Bayona

10 August 2010 | Camarinas, Spain
Author: Sally
From Camarinas we sailed to a Spanish town called Sanxenxo near Ria de Pontevedra.

We had an early start to make the most of the day and managed to sail around Cape Finisterre on a beam reach with the genoa to starboard. Finisterre is reknown for strong winds but we were lucky to have a NE blowing which made for a nice semi-downwind run, with just a bit of swell rolling the boat. By early afternoon we had to start the motor as there was not enough wind, and ended up motoring all the way to Sanxenxo.

As we were coming into the Real Club Nautico de Sanxenxo marina (new marina with good facilites and wifi), there was a load of little kids in tiny yachts being towed by an instructor in a rubber dinghy and they were all shouting out to us 'Hola!' So cute - just like a little mother duck and her ducklings.
We moored in the marina and went ashore for some well earned showers and meals. Paella all round with some potatos bravas and calamrie for good measure!A great meal, but in true Spanish style we didn't end up eating until about midnight! There was a small supermarket just 10 mins walk into town and plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from. The ones along the boardwalk of the marina looked to be very flash, but a little further into town and the prices were a little better for the budget.

After a lazy morning and a breakfast of bacon and eggs we departed the marina for a close by island called Isle de Faro for a lunch stop. Which seemed like a total luxury as we have been eating ' on the hoof' since we departed Lymington. After anchoring for about an hour, and Hamish being the only one brave enough to go for a swim ( water temp 16 degrees), we sailed around the corner to Bayona and anchored safely off the new marina after being promptly told we could not use one of the moorings we had initally secured to by the staff of the Monte Real Club de Yates. It was a great excuse for Hamish to put the dinghy in again anyway and ferry us across to the town for a walk around.
A little bit of history for you, Bayona was Columbus' first mainland landfall in 1493 after returning from the New World, and is commemorated by a replica of the Pinta, permanently berthed in the harbour.

On the way into harbour we had a good look at the Parador Conde do Gondomar, which is an old castle turned into a state run hotel, I would say one of the ones with a better view!

Bayona is a busy little town - full of local tourists and a nice place to stop, although we found it difficult to locate a supermarket close the anchorage and ended up just buying what we needed from a mini mart type place.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pegasus
Vessel Make/Model: 2002 Beneteau 50
Hailing Port: Lymington, UK
Crew: Sally and Hamish
About:
S [...]
Extra:
Sailing around the world has always been something that Hamish has wanted to do, but never thought the opportunity would arise. He has sailed since a very young age on his father’s yacht on Lake Te Anau, New Zealand and a lot of dingy sailing at school in Australia. He has also owned a couple [...]

Who: Sally and Hamish
Port: Lymington, UK
Site Meter