The Raven Log

The crew of sv Raven now on land.

26 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
10 September 2009
05 September 2009
05 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
11 August 2009 | Cheryl's Bag
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
08 August 2009
07 August 2009 | on the other side of the barbed-wire fence from our yard
07 August 2009
06 August 2009 | Our Wood Pile
05 August 2009 | Our Shoe Pile
01 August 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
05 July 2009
03 July 2009

Traveling Day

07 August 2008 | Albuquerque, New Mexico
a bottle of Tequila/Security Item

We are back in the states! Felt great to touch down at my all time favorite airport - Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'm not sure if I like the airport because it is in NM, because it is one of the few nicely decorated ones, that I am partial to the Southwestern style of decorations or that it is just a cool airport.

We had a pretty easy travel day(though still a little stressful): dinghy to shore with Jan, truck ride to the airport with Jan, plane ride to Houston, TX - we even got a decent hot sandwich as lunch when the tickets said no food on the flight! In Houston we had to go through customs in just over 1 hour with involves claiming one's bags and rechecking them. The only problem we had is that we didn't put the bottle of tequila we purchased at the duty free shop inside our checked baggage/attempted to carry it on the plane with us almost losing it at security - we did see another sign that said we could bring on bottles of alcohol that were labeled and purchased in the duty free shops but the security guy thought it said otherwise. 'Gloria' the other security person checked it as a separate 'security item' (see picture) and gave us her cell phone number and wound up catching up with us at the gate as we were boarding to give us the claim check! She was awesome!
Since we had alot of bags and they were heavy we opted to get one of those carts especially since we wanted to go to the neat Mexican restaurant at the Albuquerque airport after our flight for dinner. I felt like Harry Potter with his cart of school stuff at the train station, Scott suggested I don't try to ram it through any walls! Ha, ha.

We got a taxi to our hotel where we were redeeming a free-nights stay certificate since we had stayed at this chain alot. It was bittersweet- we started staying at these hotels because they took pets and though it was weird to be there without Hilo we felt like he was giving us a present of the free night stay.

We enjoyed hot, long, clean showers a big comfy bed and air conditioning - not that we really needed it since it was cooler and way less humid here!
Comments
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
Crew: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
About: Capt'n Scott - formerly responsible for the crews lives Cheryl - former Admiral, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, etc., etc. Hilo - Spirit Guide & Protector (formally- Bug Catcher, Scarer of Birds, Lap Warmer, Provider of Unconditional Love (as long as his food bowl is full)
Extra:
Westsails have an interesting history. They were designed after pilot boats, boats that were made very sturdy so they could spend hours in rough seas. They were over built with fiberglass so they are thicker than most fiberglass boats and are wider (beamier) than most other boats for their length [...]

S/V RAVEN & HER CREW from 2004-2009

Who: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
"God is happiest when his children are at play" - the Legend of Bagger Vance
"A riveting and exciting read, I can barely wait each month for the new entry". - Capt'n Halsey, the Yellow Submarine