The Raven Log

The crew of sv Raven now on land.

26 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
10 September 2009
05 September 2009
05 September 2009 | San Carlos, MX
11 August 2009 | Cheryl's Bag
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
09 August 2009 | Taos Solar Center
08 August 2009
07 August 2009 | on the other side of the barbed-wire fence from our yard
07 August 2009
06 August 2009 | Our Wood Pile
05 August 2009 | Our Shoe Pile
01 August 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
07 July 2009
05 July 2009
03 July 2009

"We got nailed full on Tehuanipecker, you would have hated it."

20 December 2008 | Hualtuco, MX & Taos, NM
by Those Holding Down the Fort
Day 6 of Scott's 5 day sail back to Mexico - my heart skips a beat each and every time the phone rings, hoping it is him, but alas, it is not: people to plow our driveway, Cris at work, etc. I figured it would take at least 7 days though Scott said 5, 2 more than it took us to sail south, still I can't help but be anxious to hear his voice again. Did they get blown out to the Galapogos Isalnds? I don't worry but still the thoughts race through my mind.

Day 7 of Scott's 5 day sail: I get an email from Scott saying they are there and OK and will call later! He also writes that they got caught in a blow and 'I would have hated it". Later that same day the phone rings at work from an unknown number and...it's him!! So great to hear his voice! He missed what little Spanish more I know than him while checking in with the Port Captain (who speaks no English) and of course just missed me in general - like wise for me too! Their sail went something like this: 30 -40 nm winds at 11 pm ("It was a dak and stormy night...") for 18 hours while crossing the Gulf of Tehuanapec= getting caught in a blow. The guide books say 'it just sucks' about getting caught in one. Broke a winch on the mast and a part on the spar. Luckily no one was hurt. Scott had to pry Scottie's hands from the tiller to get him to go down below and warm up during the blow - he's a trouper! Ran out of fuel but the Mexican Navy shuttled some to them because they didn't want them to go ashore- saved them from putting the dinghy together and paying $300 to check in to the country there! Put into a commercial harbor that we had read bad things about.

Finally they are safe and sound and officially checked into Mexico! Only 1 country away (instead of 3)! Hopefully the rest of their sail will be smooth (or smoother) sailing!

Comments
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32
Hailing Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
Crew: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
About: Capt'n Scott - formerly responsible for the crews lives Cheryl - former Admiral, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, etc., etc. Hilo - Spirit Guide & Protector (formally- Bug Catcher, Scarer of Birds, Lap Warmer, Provider of Unconditional Love (as long as his food bowl is full)
Extra:
Westsails have an interesting history. They were designed after pilot boats, boats that were made very sturdy so they could spend hours in rough seas. They were over built with fiberglass so they are thicker than most fiberglass boats and are wider (beamier) than most other boats for their length [...]

S/V RAVEN & HER CREW from 2004-2009

Who: Capt'n Scott, Admiral Cheryl, Spirit Guide Hilo
Port: Crested Butte, Colorado, USA
"God is happiest when his children are at play" - the Legend of Bagger Vance
"A riveting and exciting read, I can barely wait each month for the new entry". - Capt'n Halsey, the Yellow Submarine