s/v Sand Dollar

A Kelly-Peterson 44 currently undergoing a long term refit in the PNW.

22 June 2016
01 June 2015
28 May 2015
28 May 2015
20 January 2013 | Brighton
02 January 2013 | Brighton
12 November 2010
01 March 2009 | Pueblo, CO
06 July 2007
27 May 2007
26 May 2007
25 May 2007
19 May 2007
28 April 2007
18 April 2007
03 April 2007
07 January 2007

Port side wall

27 May 2007
Lori
We had gotten to bed by 9 and slept for 10 hours. That was amazing for Michael who usually gets by with 6 and often only 4 hours. Now if only the bed were more comfortable.

The next morning after a filling breakfast of Captain Crunch - Peanut Butter mind you. We took of the table and Michael sanded the floor between the seats with the power sander. The dust was so bad we rigged up a box fan to suck the air out, worked pretty good too.

Paisley sanded in the rear cabin today while the sanding was going on. When he was done on the floor Michael decided since he had the power sander out he would work on one of the teak tops to the coming in the cockpit. Paisley helped him and they both varnished the teak.

While they were doing that, I used stain blocker on a few spots in the forward head shelves, and in the starboard shelf that had a large spot of oil that must have spilt. I didn't know what to think of that large bit of oil that had marked all the way down the floor, but asked Michael if he thought I could try and cover it with stainblocker. I thought he said sure. He told me later he didn't, ah well. It can always be covered by formica, like the other shelves. I put a second coat of regular paint in the rear head, and there is nothing left to paint in the rear head any more. We took a stop for lunch and watched the movie 'Apocalypse' which is about John in the bible.

Bernie stopped by and I showed him my new Pren-N-Snap tool from sailrite and he told us how to raise the boat. Michael has been concerned about leakage in the boat. When we got to her there was too much water in the bilge and he thought some of it was because the boat was tilted too far forward and water wasn't draining to the scuppers. Bernie told him he could do it just by raising the stands bit by bit. So he did.. and it worked pretty good. We shall see if it helps stops the leaks.

After lunch Michael worked on the lower port side wall. We had bought paper backed teak veneer for this wall and it was time to see if it was a good idea. It took a good part of the afternoon and we both worked on the wall together. We used contact cement rather than epoxy and it worked well. We were worried about misaligning it, but it matched up excellent. Michael used our new XPR multitool that attached to our dremel (think reciprocating saw in miniature) to cut out a small spot so he could replace the power plug in that was there and we replaced it with a black CGFI box. Looks nice too. Michael was horrified when he saw the hole cut into the wall. It was very rough and we told him we were going to leave it like that. He didn't like that idea at all. Good thing we will do the final cut next time.

Michael hasn't decided if he will use fetches for the upper part of the wall or more of the paper backed. The one problem we see is the teak paper backed is quite dark. We hope it doesn't look funny when its varnished.

Dee and Del called and are going to stop by sometime tomorrow, so during the dinner movie I put away tools and tried to do a general tidy up. Our evening ended by watching a wicked lightning storm in the east. Mikey said "Too bad we didn't have a video camera with us - the people back home wouldn't believe this." We all looked at him and laughed "Who? The people an hour away?" Silly kid.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sand Dollar
Vessel Make/Model: Kelly-Peterson 44 Hull #153
Crew: Michael Eidsmoe, Lori Eidsmoe
Sand Dollar's Photos - s/v Sand Dollar (Main)
Annapolis, MD 2006
5 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 2 January 2016
A nice master album for all the refit work.
32 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 1 January 2016