08 February 2014 | Jensen Beach, FL
We finally ripped off the velcro and left Vero Beach around noon today. Conditions for crossing the Gulf Stream looked OK, if not really good. The north wind had died since Thursday. It was still out of the north, but less than 10 kts, so we decided to give it a try. We arrived off the Ft. Pierce inlet around 13:30. All morning the winds had been light or calm. As soon as we entered the inlet the winds picked up to 15-20 out of the NNE. By the time we were 2/3 of the way out the inlet it was apparent this was not the conditions I expected in the morning.
So we turned around and continued south on the ICW to Jensen Beach. We have anchored for the night. Conditions look about the same tomorrow, but may improve on Monday. We will check things in the morning and maybe give it a try out the St. Lucie Inlet. Otherwise we will be here until Monday.
All is well, John & Steve