SV Scott Free

This life isn't a dress rehersal, live it to it's fullest

20 November 2014 | La Paz
30 May 2014 | La Paz
14 April 2014 | La Paz
20 March 2014 | Everett, WA
30 January 2014 | La Paz
21 January 2014 | La Paz
07 November 2013 | Everett
08 September 2013 | Everett
29 May 2013 | La Paz
07 May 2013 | Everett
03 April 2013 | Vancouver WA
12 March 2013 | Bahia Falsa
05 March 2013 | Bahia Falsa
03 March 2013 | La Paz
27 February 2013 | La Paz, Mx
12 February 2013 | Everett
13 January 2013 | Everett
08 January 2013 | Spokane, WA
12 December 2012 | La Paz
05 December 2012 | La Paz

Fairwell to Puget Sound

02 August 2009 | Neah Bay
Monica
Wow, not sure what to write about; the sheer wonder at being out here or the terror of boats racing towards us out of the fog or the amazing view of the world when the fog lifts. It is a constant shift of visions.

We left Port Angeles this morning at 7am to lifting fog and shortly after leaving the marina we found out selves in sun and were amazed at what we didn't see coming in because of fog. The sun lasted about an hour and then we were enveloped in fog, so heavy at times we could barely see one boat length ahead. The AIS and radar were invaluable. But, with the radar down below it wasn't a constant watch just something we would check every few minutes. At one point in time a Coast Guard boat about 50 ft. came blasting out of the wall of fog to cross about two boat lengths ahead of us and then drive by along side of us and wave. We assumed they were just checking all boats in the area but did it ever catch us by surprise.

At another point we seemed to be surrounded by small fishing boats we could only see on radar and some that appeared to be heading right for us and we would have to take evasive action. The fog being so thick and the 5 foot swells gave the illusion of not being able to tell up from down or any direction. The auto pilot is a godsend as it steers far better in these conditions then we can.

At 1:30, same as yesterday, we broke through the fog and had wonderful sailing for the next 2 hours into Neah Bay. The last mile the winds went from 7 on our backs to 25-30 on our nose. The dockmaster assigned us a slip but of course you had to be standing on the dock to see what the slip numbers were. Needless to say, we ended up in another slip and with the wind blowing more constant at 30 than gusts pinning us to the dock we are staying put and hope when the tribal fishing boat returns they will not throw fish guts on our boat for being in their slip.

The weather looks good for leaving south tomorrow after fueling up but of course it doesn't say anything about the winds we are currently experiencing either. We've checked 3 different sources and have found 3 different forecasts. Nothing terrible in any of them, just different wind direction and wave heights.

We'll update as we can, we may have to stop in Newport if we end up motoring more than sailing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Scott Free
Vessel Make/Model: Gulfstar 44
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Scott and Monica Stoner
About: We are set for a life time of adventures together. We love life aboard and are living the dream!
Extra: This adventure started as a comment in 2006 on our honeymoon in the BVI's and has grown to the present reality.

SV Scott Free

Who: Scott and Monica Stoner
Port: Seattle