6 Weeks On A Boat

26 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
26 December 2013 | Paesanos Italian Restaurant
25 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
24 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
23 December 2013 | Isla Morada
22 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
21 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
19 December 2013 | Mangrove Marina, Community Harbor, Tavenier, FL
18 December 2013 | Tarpon Basin, Everglades National Park, FL
15 December 2013 | Tarpon Basin, Everglades National Park, FL
14 December 2013 | Blackwater Sound, Key Largo, FL
13 December 2013 | Key Largo, FL
12 December 2013 | Jewfish Creek, Key Largo, FL
11 December 2013 | Pumpkin Key in Card Sound
11 December 2013 | Key Biscayne
09 December 2013 | No Name Harbor, Cape Florida, Key Biscayne, FL
07 December 2013 | South Beach, Miami, FL
06 December 2013 | Las Olas Marina, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
30 November 2013 | Loggerhead Marina, Lantana, FL

Paradise Found Sailing Biscayne Bay

11 December 2013 | Pumpkin Key in Card Sound
Renee Hughes/Beautiful again!
I grew up believing that Corpus Christi Bay was the best, prettiest place in the world to sail. I have now changed my mind. Biscayne Bay is a sailor’s wet dream! It’s gorgeous! The bottom is a solid 10+ for a couple of miles. The winds are strong up in the sails and lighter on the boat because of the small keys protecting the bay. It was a perfect day to sail this amazing bay. We watched a fleet of small sailboats racing outside the Coconut Grove Sailing Club, a dolphin and a huge southern stingray. The sailing was so smooth the puppies both just napped while we sailed. The autopilot wouldn’t function today, touchy thing that it is. But we hardly cared as the bay was calm and the winds were 15+. We just took turns at the helm! What a great day and a great place for a sail!

Minnie had her best day ever on the water. The morning started with a manatee coming up beside the boat. Only Minnie saw it and was right on top of it. I was below fiddling with coffee or breakfast and heard this weird breathing sound. I went on deck and saw Minnie following a manatee around the boat! We sailed through Biscayne Bay and she wasn’t stressed at all (not so when we sail the waves in the ocean). Then we anchored off Pumpkin Key and right after we anchored, a dolphin came to check us out. Minnie got up close to that too. She loves watching the birds, fish and larger animals in the water! Last night was amazing! The stars were awesome and the waters were calm. We love being on the water at night!

However, the puppies are none too happy this morning. Pumpkin Key is apparently owned by one person who has no trespassing signs all around the island. I can’t make them understand that even though there is a lush tropical island just a few hundred yards from us, we can’t take them there. I don’t really understand that myself! Anyway, the dogs have to use the bathroom on the boat and they are refusing! When we anchored in Boca Lake, they both used it in the rain no less. But this time, they are on strike! They won’t go on deck at all. Minnie waited until we went to bed and promptly pissed all over Will! So they are banned from the cabin until they go to the bathroom up top and I keep teasing Will to quit being so pissy.

First breakfast, then we are going for a morning snorkel and later heading to Gilbert’s Resort and Marina. We are expecting another blue northern on Thursday with rain Friday. But it’s the winds that concern us the most. Forecasted 20 to 25 Thurs, Fri & Sat. So we are going to stay in a slip for a few days. The dogs will be happy because it’s a pet-friendly resort!

Comments
Vessel Name: Sea Lean
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 30'
Hailing Port: Port Canaveral Yacht Club
Crew: Will Duncan, Renee Hughes, Minnie, Max
About: A couple of sailors and a couple of dogs
Extra: Heading for the Florida Keys in a 30 foot sailboat

Our Maiden Cruise

Who: Will Duncan, Renee Hughes, Minnie, Max
Port: Port Canaveral Yacht Club