Sequoia Changing Latitudes

30 August 2023 | St. Helens, Oregon
09 August 2023 | Bellingham, Washington
21 July 2023 | Boat: Bellingham; C&B: Scappoose
10 July 2023 | Egmont, Sunshine Coast, B.C., Canada
02 July 2023 | Walsh Cove, Desolation Sound, B.C., Canada
23 June 2023 | Westview/Powell River B.C.
18 June 2023 | Ganges, Saltspring Island, B.C., Canada
22 June 2019 | Scappoose, Oregon
27 May 2019 | Back home in Oregon
09 May 2019 | Villas Alturas Hotel, Costa Rica
02 May 2019 | San Vito, Costa Rica
23 April 2019 | Golfito, Costa Rica
11 April 2019 | Panama City, Panama
04 April 2019 | Shelter Bay Marina, Colon, Panama
22 March 2019 | Jamaica
11 March 2019 | Zar Par Marina, Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
18 February 2019 | Culebra Island, Puerto Rico
31 January 2019 | Simpson Bay Lagoon, Sint Maarten
21 January 2019 | Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua
04 January 2019 | Portsmouth, Dominica

Cruising without hot water

23 January 2011 | Chamela Bay, Jalisco, Mexico
Barbara/sunny, breezy, mid 80's
Apparently there is some consternation out there about what happened after our hot water tank failed. Not wanting to leave anyone hanging, I'll overcome the cruisers' sloth, and give you an update about that and many other things.

We had gone into Paradise Village Marina after the hot water tank failure, and at that point, we had no water system at all. With some help from Home Depot, a taxi driver, a cruiser friend, and a nameless, cavernous, dark, high-dusty-shelved ferreteria (hardware store), Craig was able to effect enough repairs to get the water system operational again, with cold water only. The hot water tank awaits the transplant of a new heater element and new thermostat, both of which are coming in about two weeks, with a visit from Craig's cousin, Gail. The water heater was built by Isotherm, a Swedish company, according to the owner's manual. But the internet disclosed that it was now owned by an Italian company, with parts available from a distributor in Maine. Et cetera. The internet, via the "banda ancha" (cell modem), is a real boon for cruisers!

We spent about a week in Paradise Village, enjoying long hot showers ashore, and dodging time share salesmen. We took a jungle cruise up the lagoon with our friends Dot and Mark of Pua'ena. Our guide, Jesús ("call me Chewy"), was able to take us through 1-2 feet of water, beneath low branches, to where the crocodiles lurk. We found a few small ones sunning themselves. They could have been plastic, they were so still. But there was something about the eyes... He took us up into a bird sanctuary, where there were thousands of birds, including some we could identify, and some we could not. There were a few blue herons, seemingly the same ones we have in Oregon. Coming back from the lagoon, we cruised through an area of high-end homes (minimum price, three million dollars, Jesús assured us).

Once we'd had our fill of hot showers and resupply trips to WalMart and Costco, we decided to head south. The hot water situation was not so difficult. We'll use more propane heating water for dishes. We have the sun shower (solar heated hot water) for al fresco showers on the swim step. The trick is to remember to take the shower while the water is still hot from the sun. There's a fine line where the water is still pleasantly warm, and yet it's starting to get dark enough that you won't offend the people on the boat anchored nearby in direct view of the swim step. Wait any longer, and the water's too cold.

We're now in Tenacatita Bay. The trip south has been very pleasant. We took off from Punta de Mita, at the north end of Banderas Bay (west of Puerto Vallarta). The first day we made it to Ipala, a very small anchorage, and a bit rolly from the ocean swells that wrap around the corner of the point. The next day, we reached Chamela Bay, where we anchored among ten or fifteen cruising sailboats, off a long, golden sand beach. The town ashore (Pérula) is modest, with a few tourist hotels, but mostly small dwellings and abarrotes (small grocery shops) and other small businesses. There was a llantera (tire store) with a few used tires and rims set out for sale, and an open-air workbench. There was a farmacia, a church, a few modest restaurants, and little else. We ate lunch at a beach palapa, and conversed with a pair of cruisers who left their boat in Raiatea, French Polynesia, and have come back via rental car to commune with their old friends/fellow cruisers who stayed in Mexico. A single-hander came along and told of his plans to finish refurbishing his boat (which he sailed here from the East Coast) and selling it. Like most single-handers, he seemed more than a little bit odd.

The next day, we motored about two miles to Isla Pasavera, one of the islands that helps to protect Chamela Bay from ocean swells. It had been our hope to anchor overnight, but the anchorage was too rolly. We did dinghy ashore to the cobblestone beach, and attempted to find a way up the island. But the terrain was extremely steep and covered with cactus or brambly bushes. (And neither of us is as capable of scrambling as we used to be!) The cacti (some variant of Saguaro cactus) seemed to have a bird (usually a booby) perched on every upright arm. These were not the blue-footed boobies of Isla Isabela, but instead their feet are a much more ordinary reddish brown. They fly around, saying "Ow...ow...ow..." and occasionally they end their string of "ow"s with an insane "hahahahaha." Craig says I'm unduly anthropomorphizing these idiot birds.

We returned to the north end of Chamela Bay for the night. We made the acquaintance of Kerry and Michelle on Kailani, and invited them over for drinks, snacks and conversation. We found out (to our and their astonishment) that they are good friends with Craig's cousin, Andy, from Kauai, where they all live. What a small world!

The next day we set off for Tenacatita Bay, where we are now. We're continuing our efforts to get to know other cruisers, and last night we were invited aboard Southern Cross, out of Portland. Mark and Vicki are from Philomath (near Corvallis), and Mark teaches at Oregon State (Online! Via the Banda Ancha!) What interesting people!

The socializing with other cruisers, and the onshore exploration, particularly contact with other cultures, is the essence of cruising. In that sense, we're really just getting into it! People have asked us, what is the difference between cruising in Mexico and cruising in the South Pacific. The nature of the cruising community is one difference. Probably less than half of those in the South Pacific are from the US or Canada. Here, it's probably 90 percent or greater. So the cruising community here is less diverse. Adding to that is that so many of the South Pacific anchorages do not have onshore tourist presence. Accordingly, the cruisers just naturally socialize more with each other. Of course the other differences relate to the environment. In the South Pacific, the water is warmer and clearer, the winds are stronger, and most of the anchorages are more protected.

Tomorrow is Craig's birthday. Perhaps I'll bake a cake, or perhaps we'll go ashore and find a nice restaurant. We have reports that the beach palapa here serves nice food. There's also a humongous hotel ashore, and perhaps they have a nice restaurant...

Best wishes to all our friends and family.
Craig & Barbara Johnston
S/V Sequoia
Comments
Vessel Name: Sequoia
Vessel Make/Model: Outbound 44
Hailing Port: Portland, Or
Crew: Craig & Barbara Johnston
About:
We are the proud owners of S/V Sequoia, Outbound 44 hull #5, built for us in Shanghai, China in 2001. In 2003-04 we crossed the South Pacific to Australia; in 2008 we sailed to Glacier Bay and back -- those voyages have been archived and are no longer available. [...]
Extra:
We care about the world and its people, and try to live responsible lives, mindful of ourselves, the places we travel to, and the people we meet. When we are away from home, we miss our daughter and son and extended family, and try to get together as much as possible. And, dear reader, we look [...]
Sequoia's Photos - Main
Photos from the beginning of our summer cruise to B.C.
11 Photos
Created 18 June 2023
Photos from the beginning of our summer cruise to B.C.
No Photos
Created 18 June 2023
Putting Sequoia aboard the M/V Merwedegracht in Victoria, B.C.
3 Photos
Created 29 March 2017
Photos of our preparations to have Sequoia shipped by freighter from Victoria to Europe.
6 Photos
Created 13 March 2017