S/V Seychelles

S/V Seychelles leaves SE Alaska, heading to where we don't need fleece and foul weather gear.

14 December 2012 | Mazatlan Mexico
08 December 2012 | Mazatlan Mexico
09 June 2012 | Sea of Cortez
23 May 2012 | La Paz
25 February 2012 | Bahia Tenacatita
18 January 2012
10 January 2012
07 January 2012
22 December 2011 | La Cruz & Puerto Vallarta
12 December 2011 | Islands North of La Paz
11 November 2011
04 November 2011
02 November 2011 | Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas
29 October 2011 | Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria
27 October 2011 | Turtle Bay Mx
24 October 2011 | San Diego to Turtle Bay MX
23 October 2011 | San Diego
12 October 2011 | Kona Kai Marina, Shelter Island, San Diego
20 September 2011 | Kona Kai Marina, shelter Island, San Diego
14 September 2011 | Marina Del Rey

Ha-Ha Leg 1

24 October 2011 | San Diego to Turtle Bay MX
Nicki / Light wind & sun
10/24 - 10/26

Photo: Pod of dolphin moving through the fleet (#1967)

Of the 172 boats registered for the Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally, 140+/- started. Boats gathered outside of Shelter Island in San Diego Harbor and paraded out of the harbor, tooting horns and playing music. Tall ships and fire boats joined in the parade, adding to the festivities. It was quite a spectacle! Both exciting, and a bit overwhelming to be within such a large group of boats. Winds were extremely light, so the official rally start was under main sail and power. A few hearty soles deployed their colorful spinnakers and whispered along, falling well behind the fleet, but determined to sail the whole rally. We weren't that hardy! It wasn't until the following morning about 7:00 that there was enough breeze for the rolling motor start to be called and the whole fleet was under sail.

20 miles or so out of San Diego, at about the Mexican border, a pod of a couple hundred dolphin moved through the fleet, jumping out of the water in a long line. It was quite impressive, and I took it as a sign of a good voyage to come.

At this latitude, the sun sets around 6:00 P.M., and our first Mexican sunset displayed a long red line along the Pacific horizon. Aaah! What a nice change from the fog and cloud banks of the upper coast. There was no nighttime feeling of being closed in, although the masthead lights of the other boats in the fleet confirmed we weren't out there alone and needed to keep a good eye on the navigational instruments.

Phosphorescence was magical at night, twinkling on the water surface, blending with the star filled sky. As I sat my night watches, I thought how much I would love to have had my sister Becky there in that magic place with me. I know she would have loved it too.
Comments
Vessel Name: Seychelles
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 49
Hailing Port: Douglas, Alaska
Crew: John Stone & Nicki Germain
About: We have sailed & cruised Southeast Alaska for years. 1991-2004, aboard our Hans Christian 39 PH, "Jolly Mon" , and 2004-2010, aboard our Hylas 49, "Seychelles". We’ve been living aboard "Seychelles" since we bought her.
Extra: After 20+ years of talking and planning we finally departed our home port of Juneau/Douglas, Alaska on June 18, 2011 to destinations south, leaving the fleece and foul weather gear behind!

S/V Seychelles

Who: John Stone & Nicki Germain
Port: Douglas, Alaska