voyage of Sheric

08 February 2019 | New Zealand
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | New Caledonia
03 November 2018 | Fiji and New Caledonia
03 November 2018 | Tonga
03 November 2018 | Tonga
03 November 2018 | Niue and Tonga
03 November 2018
01 August 2018 | French Polynesia
09 July 2018 | Tahiti and Omaha, NE
28 June 2018 | Fakarava
28 June 2018 | Hao and Tahanea
28 June 2018 | Gambiers
28 June 2018 | Pitcairn and Gambiers
28 June 2018 | Easter Island
30 April 2018 | At sea, enroute to Rapa Nui
30 April 2018 | Ecuador
05 April 2018 | Ecuador

Day 1,204 Update

28 June 2018 | Gambiers
Our buddy boats, Imagination and Serenity, arrived two days later and anchored nearby. It was great to see everyone again. They arrived on Friday, May 18, which also happened to be Roy’s birthday, so we assembled on Serenity for the celebration. We spent the afternoon and evening together, sharing stories, drinking, eating and getting haircuts.

The last time Sherry got her hair cut was in Panama when Ali cut it after we transited the canal. It had been five months. Her hair was very long, comparatively speaking. Somehow the topic of haircuts came up and Roy dug out his clippers. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to get a trim, Sherry immediately volunteered to be first. Well, take a look at the pictures in the gallery. She definitely got a haircut. The three guys got in line after her and they all got buzzed. We had a fun time but it’s certain that everyone was a tad bit regretful the next morning when looking in the mirror. Good thing…it will grow back.

Over the next two weeks we did lots of hiking, cleaning the boat, checking items off the “to do” list and relaxing. Ric changed the impeller on our main engine and cleaned up the rust around the cover. We believe that, along with a leaky propeller shaft, was/is causing the water to collect in the bilge. We will address the propeller shaft when we get to New Zealand until then we will keep our fingers crossed that nothing catastrophic happens. We think we fixed the leak in the dinghy as well. Ric put a small patch on a thin spot we found to be leaking air. So far, so good. Sherry ate lots of grapefruit which happened to be in great abundance on the island. And, we re-anchored three times…once because we were too close to another boat when the wind turned, a second time because we were too close to a reef marker when the wind turned again and the third time because we were less than a boat length away from Serenity. We finally found a spot away from pretty much everything (except a shallow area) and that’s where we stayed.

On Monday, May 28 the supply boat arrived (a day earlier than we expected). We quickly made our way to the main dock and asked about purchasing some diesel fuel. It was quite an easy process. We went to the small hut where the lady was taking money. We paid 130 XPF (francs) per liter and procured 152 liters. The total was 19,760 XPF (or $196.70). It was a bit more than we paid in other places, but considering the remoteness and the convenience…it was worth it. At the time we purchased the fuel, the weather forecast was indicating light winds for the foreseeable future so we figured we would have some motoring time once we left the island to continue on toward Tahiti. Sherry’s flight to the US was just under a month away and we still had 1,880 miles to go. After we paid, we carried our seven jerry cans over to the ship, handed the guy the receipt and he filled a drum with 152 liters then gave us a hand pump so we could transfer the fuel from the drum to the jerry cans. Simple!!!

While we waited for a decent weather window, we continued to take hikes, work on the boat, do happy hours with friends and pick up fresh fruit, bread and new provisions when the supply boats arrived.

After two weeks and a couple of days, we felt sufficiently rested and recovered from our anchoring incident so we chose Friday, June 1 to depart Rikitea to head over to the Tuamotus.

Our long-term cruising buddies parted ways with us in Gambiers. John and Lorela were heading north to the Marquesas while we were continuing west to Hao (pronounced how) in the Tuamotus. It was a sad day when we said goodbye. They departed the day before us. We did our hugging and kissing on the town dock then went our separate ways. Hopefully we will see them again in the next year. We really enjoyed sharing our cruising and land-touring experiences with them.

Enroute to Hao, we had three days and nights of little or no wind, motoring, motor sailing and rolling seas. Serenity departed with us as it is our intention to sail with them to New Zealand. The trip was mostly uneventful and, unfortunately, we used quite a bit more fuel than we had hoped. We did catch one wahoo which provided eight fillets of fish for us and was very tasty. As luck has it, we did finally get some wind on the fourth and final day but it came at a time when we really needed to slow our pace so we wouldn’t arrive at the island too early. Well, we did arrive quite early even though we only used a reefed main sail the entire fourth day and night. At about 0600 on Tuesday, June 5 we sailed slowly past the entrance to the Hao atoll. We tightened up the main sail and turned into the wind so we could heave to and wait for the proper time and conditions (slack water) to enter the pass into the atoll. Since the water really only has one way in and one way out, the current running through the passes can get quite fast (5-8 knots typically but sometimes as much as 20 knots) and the waves can grow quite large (1-2 meters typically but sometimes more), especially if the wind and sea have been big for a few days. Fortunately for us, a boat was exiting the atoll shortly before we intended to enter and another boat, Notre Reve (Guy and Marie from California), decided to take a chance on transiting the pass in front of us. We were happy to let them go first and report back on their experience. And, we were able to watch them on AIS. It was to be our first time entering a pass into an atoll and we had heard and read horror stories about cruisers who had really bad experiences when entering and exiting at the wrong time (like getting caught in eddies and their boats turning backward and taking on water). We were using an estimator spreadsheet that had been provided by other cruisers to determine the correct time to enter each atoll but the people on the boat that were exiting Hao shared with us that the estimator was about four hours off or at least it was off by that much when they entered a few days prior. Yikes!!!

Long story short…Notre Reve made it through the pass but not without a little excitement and we made it through the pass but not without a little excitement and Serenity made it through the pass with a little less excitement because they had watched us go through. Really the only excitement was that we got caught for a bit in the middle of the pass where the current is greatest and had to tack our way over to the side where the current was less but where there also a reef and shallow water. After we were successfully through the pass (about 20 minutes later) and out of any danger, Ric sighed relief and said, “I never want to do that again.” Whew!!!

We were pleased to find an old military dock near the village of Otepa where we tied Sheric up to the concrete sea wall. Hao was originally developed as a support base for nuclear bomb testing. There is an airfield and a former military base on the island. Our anchor chain was still not in great shape and since we were less than confident in it, we really liked being tied up instead of having to find a place to anchor and risk having more issues with the chain possibly getting wrapped around coral. The atolls are notorious for having coral heads called “bommies” scattered around the anchoring areas and many cruisers have reported their anchor chain getting wrapped around the coral. Having had a really bad experience recently ourselves, we were quite leery about anchoring in the atolls. Serenity rafted up with us and we spent our first night (in months) very comfortably and without worry.

Once we were tied up to the sea wall, the couple on the boat in front of us warned us about the rat population and encouraged us to gear up some rat guards for our dock lines. After we were settled, we took a walk to the village and found a number of empty plastic bottles along the way that we collected then used to “hopefully” protect our boat from a rat invasion. This is the first occasion we felt we needed to use rat guards although we had discussed it a number of times.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sheric
Vessel Make/Model: Montevideo / Bischoff
Hailing Port: Safety Harbor FL
Crew: Ric and Sherry
Sheric's Photos - Main
10 Photos
Created 8 February 2019
24 Photos
Created 9 January 2019
Tahiti and Omaha, NE
50 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
Fakarava and Tahiti
19 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Tahanea, Tuamotus
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Hao, Tuamotus
11 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Pitcairn & Gambiers
30 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Easter Island
36 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
En route to Rapa Nui
7 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Ecuador
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Ecuador
67 Photos
Created 5 April 2018
Zumbahua, Quilotoa, Chugchilan
35 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
Ecuador
51 Photos
Created 9 March 2018
Ecuador
14 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
7 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
11 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Panama
23 Photos
Created 28 February 2018
Panama Canal Transit
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
Panama and US
11 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
San Blas, Panama
7 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
San Blas, Panama
12 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
San Blas, Panama
13 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
Colombia and Panama
17 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
The Lost City - Colombia
34 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Colombia
137 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
7 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
16 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
27 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
69 Photos
Created 24 July 2017
Bonaire
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2017
Bonaire
27 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
St Martin
20 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
Saba
22 Photos
Created 25 June 2017
St Kitts
17 Photos
Created 25 June 2017
St Martin
8 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
St Martin
30 Photos
Created 29 April 2017
Barbuda
26 Photos
Created 27 March 2017
Antigua
64 Photos
Created 24 March 2017
Marie Galante and Guadeloupe
59 Photos
Created 24 March 2017
Dominica
69 Photos
Created 6 March 2017
St. Pierre, Martinique
27 Photos
Created 2 February 2017
Martinique
58 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
Saint Lucia
17 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Barbados
55 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Tobago
48 Photos
Created 10 December 2016
Mustique, Bequia and Tobago
46 Photos
Created 16 November 2016
Grenadines
40 Photos
Created 16 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 22 October 2016
Sheric re-launch and Sherry's trip to Omaha
21 Photos
Created 3 October 2016
Grenada - River tubing and haul out
42 Photos
Created 3 October 2016
Grenada - island tour
59 Photos
Created 9 September 2016
Grenada
6 Photos
Created 9 September 2016
Grenada
5 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
Grenada
35 Photos
Created 10 August 2016
Carriacou
35 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
Martinique and Saint Lucia (and Saint Vincent)
28 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
Dominica
67 Photos
Created 12 July 2016
Guadeloupe & Les Saintes
32 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Montserrat
67 Photos
Created 27 June 2016
Saint Kitts/Nevis
76 Photos
Created 26 June 2016
Saint Eustatius (aka Statia)
55 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
Saint Martin
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
Anguilla
30 Photos
Created 9 June 2016
Craig and Susan
29 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
St. Thomas, USVI Carnival 2016
53 Photos
Created 12 May 2016
39 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
British Virgin Islands
80 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
BVIs with Kathy
106 Photos
Created 25 March 2016
Rachael's visit - USVI
59 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
US Virgin Islands
129 Photos
Created 22 February 2016
39 Photos
Created 22 February 2016
Puerto Rico
64 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
62 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
Final days in Dominican Republic
21 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
53 Photos
Created 12 January 2016
Trip to Luperon, Dominican Republic
34 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
Goodbye to friends in Georgetown
8 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
Christmas and volleyball
18 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
17 Photos
Created 26 December 2015
Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
6 Photos
Created 10 December 2015
Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
6 Photos
Created 2 December 2015
Bitter Iguana Cay and Oven Rock Cave
38 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
Exuma, Bahamas
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
A fine display of creativity.
69 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Key West and hearts
14 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Omaha, Valentine and Myrtle Beach
51 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Our visit in FL and Nebraska
28 Photos
Created 5 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
34 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
Our time in Abaco with Rachael.
50 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 August 2015
27 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
26 Photos
Created 8 July 2015
23 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
Abaco
72 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
Georgetown, Great Exuma Cay and Stocking Island
21 Photos
Created 27 May 2015
Black Point Settlement to Georgetown
26 Photos
Created 23 May 2015
Shroud Cay and Warderick Wells Cay
47 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
Eleuthera
41 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
Reunion with Dave and Yvonne Hoch
1 Photo
Created 20 April 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
Mackie Shoal, Chub Cay and Bird Cay
20 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
Nassau and Rose Island
33 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 March 2015
Marathon, FL
5 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
Venice, FL to Key West, FL by way of the Dry Tortugas
26 Photos
Created 5 March 2015
The day before departure.
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2015
Our shakedown cruise to Key West at New Years with Rachael and James
9 Photos
Created 9 January 2015
Moved from Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto, FL to Harborage Marina in St. Petersburg, FL on May 4, 2014
6 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
6 Photos
Created 30 March 2014