voyage of Sheric

08 February 2019 | New Zealand
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | Australia
09 January 2019 | New Caledonia
03 November 2018 | Fiji and New Caledonia
03 November 2018 | Tonga
03 November 2018 | Tonga
03 November 2018 | Niue and Tonga
03 November 2018
01 August 2018 | French Polynesia
09 July 2018 | Tahiti and Omaha, NE
28 June 2018 | Fakarava
28 June 2018 | Hao and Tahanea
28 June 2018 | Gambiers
28 June 2018 | Pitcairn and Gambiers
28 June 2018 | Easter Island
30 April 2018 | At sea, enroute to Rapa Nui
30 April 2018 | Ecuador
05 April 2018 | Ecuador

Day 1,352 Update

03 November 2018 | Fiji and New Caledonia
Our three-day passage to Fiji was pretty uneventful and a motor sail the entire way. We did catch our first yellowfin tuna (woohoo) which was delicious. We pulled into Suva Harbour on Monday, October 8 at 1500 in a downpour. Our friends, Dave and Yvonne on Abundance, were already anchored near the yacht club as they had arrived a few hours before us. The Fijian officials are sticklers about quarantine so we were unable to greet Dave and Yvonne (other than waving from a distance) until the next morning after we had been cleared. In fact, we had read that a cruiser was almost fined because someone pulled up beside their boat to visit prior to them receiving clearance. So, we abided by the rules and stayed put until the next morning. Once cleared, we set off to shore so we could pay all the fees (Biosecurity/Customs/Yacht Club) and check things out. Suva is Fiji’s largest city. The people are the friendliest we’ve encountered…even the teenage boys are welcoming and greeted us with smiles and Bula (hello in Fijian). About half of the Fijian people are of Indian descent with most others being Melanesian.

Fiji celebrated their 48th year of independence with Fiji Days. There was a military parade, a concert, a barbeque and various other activities around the islands. After checking out the museum and taking pictures of and with the guard stationed at the President’s palace, we joined the crowd at the sports field and enjoyed the afternoon’s entertainment of DJs, dancers, performers and loads of children. Since we mentioned the President’s guard…we’re told it is similar to Buckingham Palace where the “changing of the guard” is a formal event. The various military arms take turns guarding the entrance and the change is done (we believe) during the first week of each month. Anyway…we did get the gentleman to smile and acknowledge us even though he tried not to notice.

We took the next few days to make our way from Suva (located on the southwest corner of the main island, Viti Levu) over to the west side of the island to Lautoka and Vuda Point. We took about three days, anchorage hopping along the way, to get to Momi Bay (a large anchorage just inside the reef) and spent a couple of nights there. Our next stop was Saweni Bay located just southwest of Lautoka (Fiji’s other large city and also a commercial harbor).

After stopping in Lautoka and discovering that the outward clearance process would be quite cumbersome from there, we did some provisioning and decided to head over to Vuda Point Marina. We took on fuel then spent the night tied to the pontoon intending to clear out the next morning. At happy hour that evening we came across Stu (a gentleman we met in Shelter Bay Marina in Colon, Panama) and heard all about his story of losing his mast (in 15 knots of wind) on his way to the Galapagos and having to motor 500 miles to Costa Rica where he began a long, arduous search for a new mast.

The next morning, after checking the weather and consulting with Dave and Yvonne, we decided to forego clearing out while a frontal system passed through and made our way over to Musket Cove, about 15 miles to the west. John and Fran on Kia Ora were tied up to a mooring there. The next morning Dave came over to let us know that Yvonne’s brother was hospitalized with invasive cancer and Yvonne would be leaving the next day to fly back to the U.S. We joined them for breakfast at the resort on the island before they took off back to Vuda Point. The next five days were spent relaxing and doing laundry…since laundry only took a morning, we spent lots of time relaxing.

On Wednesday, October 24, we cleared out of Fiji and departed for New Caledonia. The predicted weather was to be calm seas and mild wind…instead we sailed away from Fiji in 25+ knot winds and 8-foot seas. After the first 24 hours, the conditions began to calm and by the end of the second day, we were motor sailing. Another boat that had cleared out the same time we did was not far behind us as we left the protection of the reef and the island. We lost sight of them visually and on AIS before nightfall only to learn later that they had turned back and waited two more days before setting out again.

Our approach to New Caledonia came early the morning of Monday, October 29 with a beautiful sunrise. When we arrived in Noumea (the capital and the most sophisticated city in the South Pacific outside of those on New Zealand) we called Marina Port Moselle to report our arrival and make arrangements for Quarantine. We tied Sheric up to the quarantine pontoon inside the marina and waited, only a few minutes, for the officials to arrive. New Caledonia is pretty serious of their quarantine rules. They took all the fresh vegetables and fruit we still had on board (a few potatoes, onions, one lime, a coconut and our organic waste). They also asked about honey, dairy products, corn, dried legumes and meat (which we believe they would have taken if we had any but we had heard about the strictness and ate what we could before we arrived).

We spent our first night on the anchor in the very crowded anchorage outside the marina. There were more boats than we’d seen since being in St. Martin. Interestingly, a good portion of the boats are local boats or those that are kept in New Caledonia during the off season. However, we did meet a number of cruisers that were staging (as we were) to go to Australia or New Zealand. The next morning we completed our Customs and Immigration clearances then moved Sheric into a slip at Port Moselle…we were treating ourselves. It felt quite nice to be securely tied up to a dock and not have to be concerned with anchors, moorings and other boats. We also used the hot showers and free wifi. The local farmer produce market and fish market were within a two-minute walk from our dock. Very nice.

On Halloween, in a moment of spontaneity, we jumped on a train tour and enjoyed a ride around the city. While it didn’t take long, the city (and island) is noted for the TV shows Lost and a season of Survivor. Also, one of the casinos is named Casino Royale after the James Bond novel and movie. It is a beautiful place and reminds Sherry of pictures she’s seen of the French Riviera. New Caledonia is a French property so it was fortuitous that we happened to jump aboard an English-narrated tour.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sheric
Vessel Make/Model: Montevideo / Bischoff
Hailing Port: Safety Harbor FL
Crew: Ric and Sherry
Sheric's Photos - Main
10 Photos
Created 8 February 2019
24 Photos
Created 9 January 2019
Tahiti and Omaha, NE
50 Photos
Created 9 July 2018
Fakarava and Tahiti
19 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Tahanea, Tuamotus
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Hao, Tuamotus
11 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Pitcairn & Gambiers
30 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
Easter Island
36 Photos
Created 28 June 2018
En route to Rapa Nui
7 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Ecuador
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Ecuador
67 Photos
Created 5 April 2018
Zumbahua, Quilotoa, Chugchilan
35 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
Ecuador
51 Photos
Created 9 March 2018
Ecuador
14 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
7 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
23 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Las Perlas
11 Photos
Created 7 March 2018
Panama
23 Photos
Created 28 February 2018
Panama Canal Transit
50 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
Panama and US
11 Photos
Created 16 January 2018
San Blas, Panama
7 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
San Blas, Panama
12 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
San Blas, Panama
13 Photos
Created 13 December 2017
Colombia and Panama
17 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
The Lost City - Colombia
34 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Colombia
137 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
7 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
16 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
27 Photos
Created 9 December 2017
Curacao
69 Photos
Created 24 July 2017
Bonaire
24 Photos
Created 9 July 2017
Bonaire
27 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
St Martin
20 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
Saba
22 Photos
Created 25 June 2017
St Kitts
17 Photos
Created 25 June 2017
St Martin
8 Photos
Created 30 April 2017
St Martin
30 Photos
Created 29 April 2017
Barbuda
26 Photos
Created 27 March 2017
Antigua
64 Photos
Created 24 March 2017
Marie Galante and Guadeloupe
59 Photos
Created 24 March 2017
Dominica
69 Photos
Created 6 March 2017
St. Pierre, Martinique
27 Photos
Created 2 February 2017
Martinique
58 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
Saint Lucia
17 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Barbados
55 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Tobago
48 Photos
Created 10 December 2016
Mustique, Bequia and Tobago
46 Photos
Created 16 November 2016
Grenadines
40 Photos
Created 16 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 22 October 2016
Sheric re-launch and Sherry's trip to Omaha
21 Photos
Created 3 October 2016
Grenada - River tubing and haul out
42 Photos
Created 3 October 2016
Grenada - island tour
59 Photos
Created 9 September 2016
Grenada
6 Photos
Created 9 September 2016
Grenada
5 Photos
Created 22 August 2016
Grenada
35 Photos
Created 10 August 2016
Carriacou
35 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
Martinique and Saint Lucia (and Saint Vincent)
28 Photos
Created 29 July 2016
Dominica
67 Photos
Created 12 July 2016
Guadeloupe & Les Saintes
32 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
Montserrat
67 Photos
Created 27 June 2016
Saint Kitts/Nevis
76 Photos
Created 26 June 2016
Saint Eustatius (aka Statia)
55 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
Saint Martin
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2016
Anguilla
30 Photos
Created 9 June 2016
Craig and Susan
29 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
St. Thomas, USVI Carnival 2016
53 Photos
Created 12 May 2016
39 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
British Virgin Islands
80 Photos
Created 15 April 2016
BVIs with Kathy
106 Photos
Created 25 March 2016
Rachael's visit - USVI
59 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
US Virgin Islands
129 Photos
Created 22 February 2016
39 Photos
Created 22 February 2016
Puerto Rico
64 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
62 Photos
Created 29 January 2016
Final days in Dominican Republic
21 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
53 Photos
Created 12 January 2016
Trip to Luperon, Dominican Republic
34 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
Goodbye to friends in Georgetown
8 Photos
Created 8 January 2016
Christmas and volleyball
18 Photos
Created 30 December 2015
17 Photos
Created 26 December 2015
Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
6 Photos
Created 10 December 2015
Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas
6 Photos
Created 2 December 2015
Bitter Iguana Cay and Oven Rock Cave
38 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
Exuma, Bahamas
16 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
A fine display of creativity.
69 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Key West and hearts
14 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Omaha, Valentine and Myrtle Beach
51 Photos
Created 2 November 2015
Our visit in FL and Nebraska
28 Photos
Created 5 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
34 Photos
Created 31 August 2015
Our time in Abaco with Rachael.
50 Photos
Created 16 August 2015
32 Photos
Created 12 August 2015
27 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
26 Photos
Created 8 July 2015
23 Photos
Created 24 June 2015
Abaco
72 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2015
Georgetown, Great Exuma Cay and Stocking Island
21 Photos
Created 27 May 2015
Black Point Settlement to Georgetown
26 Photos
Created 23 May 2015
Shroud Cay and Warderick Wells Cay
47 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
Eleuthera
41 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
Reunion with Dave and Yvonne Hoch
1 Photo
Created 20 April 2015
9 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
Mackie Shoal, Chub Cay and Bird Cay
20 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
Nassau and Rose Island
33 Photos
Created 25 March 2015
6 Photos
Created 17 March 2015
Marathon, FL
5 Photos
Created 11 March 2015
Venice, FL to Key West, FL by way of the Dry Tortugas
26 Photos
Created 5 March 2015
The day before departure.
1 Photo
Created 22 February 2015
Our shakedown cruise to Key West at New Years with Rachael and James
9 Photos
Created 9 January 2015
Moved from Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto, FL to Harborage Marina in St. Petersburg, FL on May 4, 2014
6 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
6 Photos
Created 30 March 2014