s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

We have a pretty blue bottom

30 May 2007
Today was a much better day with the paint. The second coat went on more easily, partly because we stopped trying to get one gallon to cover the whole bottom. We were also painting in the morning instead of afternoon, so it was cooler, and it wasn't windy today. Those factors probably did make the paint go farther. Tomorrow we're going to use the remaining paint for a third coat on high-friction spots: the keel, the skeg and rudder, and the waterline.

A highlight of the day was talking with the owners of the Sceptre next to us in the yard. The boat is s/v Magenta, and the owners are Kim and Larry Moore. They're taking off to go cruising next year and were interested in what we've done to prepare. They have season tickets for the symphony here and gave us a two-for-one coupon for the season's last symphony. So we'll be getting dressed up on Monday evening and rowing the dinghy ashore to go hear Beethoven's Ninth. What a treat!

Kim didn't get to see our boat because she had to get to work (she's a nurse), so the Moores are planning to come back to the yard while we're still here. We want to get a photo of them on Magenta for our "people" page. One of these days when I don't have Internet access, I need to put that page in reverse chronological order.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com