s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Heading on

05 June 2007 | Granville Island, Vancouver
Last night was the symphony, and it was great! We knew they were doing Beethoven's Ninth, but we didn't know that they were opening with Brahms's Academic Festival Overture, another popular favorite. The Orpheum Theatre, home of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, is a beautiful, old theater that has been restored. We were in the last row of the first balcony and, though we did miss our San Francisco rear box seats, could see and hear quite well.

Getting to the symphony was a carefully planned adventure, as well. It rained all day yesterday, so first we moved the boat closer to the dinghy dock. Then I made sure that I knew which bus to take and where to catch it. We had to use the Stamps Landing dinghy dock because it's the only one we can anchor near. It's crowded, not very clean, and kind of smelly, but it works. It's covered, but not enough to keep the dinghy dry inside, so we got our feet wet on the way back to the boat. We had an unremarkable dinner at an Irish pub and restaurant before the symphony and, because we needed to get exact change for the bus, a beer at a nicer pub after. It was nearly midnight by the time we got back to the boat.

Today we're going to stop at the public market on Granville Island on our way out of False Creek. We don't really need provisions, but it looked like a nice market when we hurried through it the other day on our way to the aquarium, so we're going to check it out. It also has free moorage for three hours. Just right for our purposes. We think we'll anchor in Plumper Cove Marine Park in Howe Sound tonight. It isn't far, and it looks like we'll have enough wind to sail.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com