s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Plumper Cove

06 June 2007
The wind was nice yesterday afternoon, but it was a bit on our nose. We thought about sailing anyway, but since the shut-off switch for the engine is still broken, it's a hassle to turn off the engine. So we motored but used the jib for assistance. The tracking feature of our auto-pilot was misbehaving, but we thought it was due to the currents. Awhile later, the controls started saying "low batt" and turning us in a circle. We'd had that problem before but thought it was fixed. John tried some things while I took the helm, but it still wasn't reliable. We were also seeing lots of logs, and I hit one - not too hard - that we didn't see. John was about to forget about Howe Sound because of the logs, but I pointed out that there were logs everywhere.

John wasn't able to fix the shut-off switch last night, but he has a couple of other things to try this morning. This was a pretty rolly anchorage. With the wind last night, that was a little spooky, but we have a good anchor, and it seems to be well set since the anchor alarm didn't go off. I actually enjoy the movement, but it bothers John a little.

The public market on Granville Island is awesome. Unlike the Ferry Plaza Market in San Francisco, the prices are quite competitive. In fact, we didn't save much on the seafood by buying it off of the boats. There seemed to be several groupings of vendors, each group with fresh produce, meat, fish, and bakery. Maybe each also had deli meats, I'm not sure. On his way back from the chandlery, John got some nice hard salami from one German deli.

Howe Sound looked gorgeous in a misty, mysterious way. It has steep mountains all around, basically a fiord. (There's some technical, geographical definition for a fiord, and I'm not sure if it meets that, but it's fiord-like.)

John has a crab pot out and the rest of the makings for bouillabaisse. We should have a good dinner tonight.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com