s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

PLI and Harmony Islands

16 June 2007
John hiked to the "Trapper's Cabin" day before yesterday. It's an arduous, two-hour uphill climb on a trail identifiable only by surveyor's tape. Tree roots act as stairs for part of it. At the end, it's pretty much just a bunch of logs. He's still stiff today. John will have a photo page for it, I'm sure.

Yesterday we took it easy. I got up at 0800 to run the generator. Princess Louisa Inlet limits the hours you can do that. Then I worked on a new webpage layout for panorama photos that John has taken of some of our anchorages. I know what I want to do, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. I need the Internet to look up stuff.

Suddenly John came back to the boat and said, "Everyone has left. Do you want to go?" I looked up, and sure enough, our neighbors were heading back down the inlet to leave at low slack. I said, "Sure," and a new neighbor helped us off the dock. (That was a motor yacht from San Pedro, CA, which we'll probably see in Mexico.) We thought about staying on a mooring buoy in the inlet, but the timing to get out of the inlet wouldn't be good again for a few days. We needed at least six hours to yet from Princess Louisa to a decent anchorage. So we went all the way out.

We had the wind in our face the whole way down Jervis Inlet, so it was slow going, but the sun was out, and it was gorgeous. When we got back to Dark Cove, the crab pot was empty. Dark Cove isn't a recommended anchorage in "weather," and we had wind, so we continued on to the Harmony Islands.

The Harmony Islands are a popular anchorage according to the chart and the Waggoner Guide. It's certainly beautiful and protected. On our way in, we passed a fantastic waterfall and a Greenpeace ship, Esperanza, at anchor. There were a couple of other boats in the anchorage: one stern-tied to an island that was posted "private," and the other with an anchor in the middle of the channel. On our second try, we got our anchor set between the two. (It's a rocky bottom, so setting the anchor is difficult.) John got the engine shut off (the switch quit again), and the neighbor who was anchored in the channel rowed over to express his concern with our position. He was afraid we would swing into a couple of rocks that were covered at high tide. He told us that he had attempted a stern tie from our position, but couldn't get his anchor set.

So we got the dinghy out and John set a stern-tie to a park-owned island near us. Then he cooked dinner, set the anchor alarm, and we went to bed. We had just drifted off to sleep when the alarm went off. We had set it to be extra sensitive because we wouldn't swing with a stern-tie, but our anchor could slip. John stayed up for another couple of hours after that, napping on the settee and watching our tracks on the chart plotter as the alarm continued to sound every 15 minutes or so. Finally, he felt comfortable that we really weren't going anywhere, adjusted the sensitivity on the alarm, and came back to bed.

Today we're heading to Westview (Powell River), where we'll tie up at the dock and do laundry, provisioning, and repairs.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com