s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Caught some fish

02 July 2007
While waiting for the current in Discovery Passage to switch, John caught some fish in the back eddy off Yaculta across from Campbell River. We decided they're kelp greenling, one male and one female. He threw back the butter sole and sculpins. We had planned to have them for dinner last night, but the late slack at Seymour Narrows (1930) meant that we wouldn't arrive at our planned anchorage until almost 2200, so we'll have the fish tonight.

We passed several good anchorages off Discovery Passage in order to return to Otter Cove. It's where we first anchored on the Alaska trip last year. Then the weather was beautiful and we had the cove to ourselves. This year it's raining, and there was already another sailboat here when we arrived, and a gill netter pulled in later. Both were gone when we got up, though.

A go-fast boat came into the cove this morning. John got out the binoculars and saw that it was Hurricane Jack. He was going slowly, and we couldn't tell what he was doing. I suspect looking for the bear that hangs out here. John switched to Channel 7 (the whale-watcher boat channel), and it wasn't long before we heard him talking with Ladyhawk. There weren't any orca sighting up here, but someone reported seeing two in Brown Bay, well south of here. As we listened, the whales seemed to move a little north, and we're hoping that we'll see them up here later.

Even though it's still rainy, I enjoyed the view while washing dishes this morning. We can see around the little island that protects this cove and watch boats going into and out of Discovery Passage. I watched Hurricane Jack speed by after he got the call about sighting whales. The mountains across Johnstone Strait, which I can see on the other side of the island, come straight down to the water. The clouds cling to them in wisps like smoke or Christmas tree angel hair.

This afternoon we're going to move from here to a lagoon off of Thurston Bay that Jack told us about. It sounded like a like Dungeness crab spot. We may see bears and orcas along the way.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com