s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Matilpi

09 July 2007
We were the lasts ones out of Douglas Bay yesterday morning - except for a couple of motor yachts. We tried to get a picture of Journey and her owners, but the camera wasn't set right when John and Jeri were waving at us. Later John did get a photo, but Jeri was bending over the anchor at the time, and we don't think she'd appreciate us publishing it.

On advice from Journey, we anchored at Matilpi last night. It was cloudy, and the wind really kicked up after we dropped the hook. We were glad to be out of Johnstone Strait while it was still decent. Last year we didn't realize that the reason we didn't see many other pleasure boats on the strait was its fearsome reputation. Now we know that boats stay out of it as much as possible.

This morning it became apparent that Märzen had been sick during the night, and in fact, she was still sick this morning. We're sure it was something she ate, but we can't figure out what. Maybe the chicken fat she stole from John's bait cup two days ago, but that wasn't what the evidence looked like. Whatever it was, she's better now and her bedding is drying in the sun from its hand-wash.

It's pretty and peaceful here at Matilpi, and we're going to hang out here for another night before heading to Lagoon Cove. We all went ashore this afternoon. John found bear scat in the woods while he was looking for the site of an abandoned Indian village. Märzen and I hung out on the beach. She didn't enjoy it much, though, because instead of sand, it was all sharp shells.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com