s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Kwatsi Bay

12 July 2007
Lagoon Cove was fun. John made ginger cookies — and doubled the ginger this time — for the happy hour. They were a hit. In the evening there was a camp fire, and Bill (the owner) told bear stories. A family in a big motor yacht turned out to be from Portland. They live in Sherwood, but the girl is a senior at Jesuit. And Bill lives in Portland (Hillsdale) when he and his wife aren't in BC (summers) or Mexico (winters). Nice life and small world. I mentioned Jopa's to both.

We were having trouble deciding where to go next, but finally decided on Kwatsi Bay. It was one we had on our list, but we'd heard that it was difficult to get in because it's small (good) and can't be reached by radio until you're quite close because of the tall mountains. Once we found a nearby anchorage, we decided to go for it: anchor out one night and call ahead for the next night at the dock. That's where we are now.

The trip here was beautiful with steep mountains plunging to the water and waterfalls and almost no other boats. We counted three in four hours: one that passed us and two going the opposite direction. John got some great pictures, so you can look forward to another photo page when I get my ftp setup working again.

A key attraction here — other than the beauty — is that one of the owners, Anca, is Dutch. She was here to help us land, and I got to practice a little Dutch right away. Her grandmother lives in Amersfoort near the train station, which is pretty close to the gymnasium where I studied. Anca's Dutch was easy for me to understand, and she said she was impressed with how well I'd maintained mine. Anca and her daughter, Marieke, are leaving later today, so I may not get any more practice.

An unexpected bonus here is the free wifi at the dock. I hope to get a chance to get to do some updating to the website if I can get the ftp working again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com