s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

West Coast of Vancouver Island

24 July 2007 | Sea Otter Cove
The weather simply refuses to settle down. We had fair weather yesterday after the fog burned off. Another sailboat seemed to follow us from Port McNeill to Port Hardy through the fog, but there aren't that many alternate routes from one to the other. Once past Port Hardy, the traffic disappeared except for go-fast fishing boats and one motor yacht that passed us just before Bull Harbour. We anchored right in front of it. The anchorage was pretty full and a couple more boats came in after us. The sailing vessel Epiphany was tied up at the dock when we came in, but they left before us this morning. I heard them hailed a few times, so we may see them somewhere on this side of the island.

We never did get the forecast northwesterly winds today. It would have been nice if we had. We saw our first Canadian sea otter in the wild just past Hope Island. And I saw a humpback. I'm always watching for whales. Nahwitti Bar was a non-event. That means that we hit it at slack as planned. Cape Scott, on the other hand, was rough, but I'm sure it could have been worse.

The entrance to Sea Otter Cove is formidable, as advertised. You have to pass fairly close to waves breaking on rocks, and the entrance is narrow and shallow. Add to that, the swells give it a roller-coaster flavor. All four mooring buoys were taken when we came in, so we anchored a little farther in than the buoys. After I got out my computer with the water levels for the area, we decided to move. It looked like we'd be sitting on the bottom at low-low tide. Now we're in front of (toward the ocean) the mooring buoys in 22 feet of water. Plenty to float our boat. Another benefit of our new position is that we can see out the entrance to the cove.

It was awesome to see the ocean again yesterday. It's been awhile. Being out on the swells today took some getting used to. The swell wasn't large, but it was pretty close together, so it seemed rougher than the wave height would warrant.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: http://www.svsolstice.com

Profile

Who: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
Port: San Francisco, CA, USA