s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

John got a halibut!

01 August 2007 | Columbia Cove
Yesterday we sailed around Cape Cook — actually sailed with the motor off and everything. It was quite nice, and the swells don't bounce us around as much when the sails are up. For awhile we were doing almost seven knots. The wind died when we rounded the corner at Clerke Point, so John went fishing, and (big fanfare here) he caught his first halibut!

As soon as John cleaned the fish, he saut�ed the cheeks in butter for an afternoon snack, but we didn't have halibut for dinner because we had rockfish from a very large yellow-eye rockfish that John caught on the way to Klaskino Inlet. (With the other events of that day, I forgot to record the fish.) With all this bounty, John is taking today off from fishing.

We're at Columbia Cove, called Peddlar's Cove by the locals. The cove is on the south side of Brooks Peninsula, and it's still west of the rest of Vancouver Island, which runs northwest to southeast. From here we're picking up Coast Guard broadcasts from as far south as Coos Bay on our VHF. That's line-of-sight radio signals.

As John was cooking dinner yesterday evening, he heard a loud bang. Thinking we'd been bumped by a log, he went up to check. Then he heard it again, and it sounded like an explosion, so he looked outside the cove and saw a big splash. As he watched, a huge whale came all of the way out of the water and splashed down hard. He called me up, and we watched for at least 15 minutes while two humpbacks pounded the water, occasionally jumping all the way out. They were still at it when they followed the fish they were hunting around the point and out of our view. We'd heard about humpbacks fishing that way, but it was a huge treat to see it.

Sea otters, whales, puffins, and catching fish: the west coast of Vancouver Island rocks!
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com