s/v Solstice

John and Shirlee's incredible adventure

10 December 2009 | Cartagena, Spain
11 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
10 October 2007 | Long Beach, CA
08 October 2007 | Lala land
07 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
06 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
04 October 2007
04 October 2007
03 October 2007 | Oxnard, CA
02 October 2007
30 September 2007
27 September 2007 | Morro Bay, CA
25 September 2007
23 September 2007
22 September 2007
20 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
18 September 2007 | Monterey, CA
15 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
14 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA
12 September 2007 | Emeryville, CA

Queen Cove

06 August 2007
Today we set out from Zeballos at 0800 in order to take advantage of the ebb. There was no wind at all for the first hour. Then we rounded a corner, and there was a nice, easy 10 knots. We practiced tacking for a couple of hours because, of course, we were sailing to windward going back down the inlet. It was fun, though, and even M�rzen the downwind sailor dog seemed to enjoy it. We got pretty good at getting the jib across the inner forestay on our tacks. John had already mastered the technique with gibes on the way up the inlet. Even with the tacking - and a stop to try to catch a fish for lunch - we made good time and got back to Queen Cove about noon.

The crab pot made up for the failure to catch a fish. It had a Dungeness and a large rock crab. We had hotdogs for lunch, but we're having crab for dinner tomorrow night, even if John does catch a halibut on the way to Friendly Cove.

I've named the route for tomorrow "Friendly Cove," but we may anchor in Burdwood Cove instead. Friendly Cove sounds like a bit of a rip off. The Indians charge you to come ashore there, and the dock doesn't look like it's in the best shape. I guess the friendliness has a price these days.

Queen Cove is filling up with sailboats. Kansei came in a couple of hours ago, Jaga showed up about a half hour ago, and there's another one (Water Lily) coming in now. We haven't met Water Lily, but for awhile it was a Kyuquot reunion.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Make/Model: Sceptre 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA, USA
Crew: John Forbes and Shirlee Smith
About: Our crew is Märzen (our miniature dachshund) and whoever else is aboard at the moment, if anyone. We welcome friends and family to join us as crew for specific legs of our voyage or to visit at a destination.
Extra: We left San Francisco May 1, 2006, on our proposed 10-year voyage, now reduced to five years due to the economic crisis. Visit our home website for photos, more words, and links.
Home Page: https://www.svsolstice.com