Sophie Sails

Vessel Name: Sophie
21 March 2012
30 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
24 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
16 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
12 October 2011 | San Francisco Bay
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2012

Our One Picture

Well, what with one thing and another it's a bit difficult for us to upload pictures and we haven't put too much effort into the process, so you'll have to be satisfied for now with a picture of our tour group in front of the Sierra Negra Caldera.

30 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Holiday blogs

The family von surf

24 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Feliz Navidad!

We’ll use our bully pulpit today to send out a Christmas cheer to all on our list. Today is Christmas and we are planning to sail this evening to Isla Isabel, a small island about 90 miles south of Mazatlan. It is often referred to as the Galapagos of the Sea of Cortez. On it are found blue-footed [...]

20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

A Day in the Life-in Port

Some of you may be wondering what, exactly, a sailor does when the boat is tucked away in the marina and isn’t out - well, sailing. For those of you that have, and for those who have been pondering grander thoughts (such as: “What to wear today?” or “I need to eat dinner tonight, what will I [...]

16 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Sophie's Southern Saga Begins

Hello readers of the sagas of Sophie!

12 October 2011 | San Francisco Bay

Hello

Hello,

A Day in the Life-in Port

20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
Will/Sunny skies
Some of you may be wondering what, exactly, a sailor does when the boat is tucked away in the marina and isn’t out - well, sailing. For those of you that have, and for those who have been pondering grander thoughts (such as: “What to wear today?” or “I need to eat dinner tonight, what will I have?”) and haven’t thought about sailors, what follows is something of an answer; and, since the beginning is a very good place to start - convenient, at least - we’ll start in the morning.



Waking up is of particular note: The slight, near imperceptible, sway of the boat beneath, the air permeated by the sea, and, most importantly, no alarm clock. After the normal fair of breakfast the list of projects comes out. Whether it be rebuilding winches, changing the oil for the engine, or folding up 700 square feet of sail – then refolding it because the first go at it, while fine, just wasn’t good enough – individual projects are completed but the list never ends.



All this hard work has to be balanced out with a bit of play, of course. Some days it’s out on the beach and in the water surfing, while others are out on the town, walking along the beach down the Malacon, Mazatlan’s version of a tourist’s haven populated with shops and restaurants.



Between work, play, and a bit of reading, altogether its own part of the day, lunch fades away, hand-in-hand with the midday heat. Out come the sweaters and pants because it still is winter, and mid-60s F with humidity and a sea breeze is cold! Curling up with a book, tea, and cookies has become de rigueur to pass the few hours after dinner before sleep.



Being in port is a time to recuperate, recreate, and repair so that the challenges at sea may be met refreshed and rejuvenated.


The Crew of Sophie

Lying Mazatlan, Mexico

December 19th, 2011
Comments

About & Links