Sophie Sails

Vessel Name: Sophie
21 March 2012
30 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
24 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
16 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
12 October 2011 | San Francisco Bay
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2012

Our One Picture

Well, what with one thing and another it's a bit difficult for us to upload pictures and we haven't put too much effort into the process, so you'll have to be satisfied for now with a picture of our tour group in front of the Sierra Negra Caldera.

30 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Holiday blogs

The family von surf

24 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Feliz Navidad!

We’ll use our bully pulpit today to send out a Christmas cheer to all on our list. Today is Christmas and we are planning to sail this evening to Isla Isabel, a small island about 90 miles south of Mazatlan. It is often referred to as the Galapagos of the Sea of Cortez. On it are found blue-footed [...]

20 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

A Day in the Life-in Port

Some of you may be wondering what, exactly, a sailor does when the boat is tucked away in the marina and isn’t out - well, sailing. For those of you that have, and for those who have been pondering grander thoughts (such as: “What to wear today?” or “I need to eat dinner tonight, what will I [...]

16 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX

Sophie's Southern Saga Begins

Hello readers of the sagas of Sophie!

12 October 2011 | San Francisco Bay

Hello

Hello,

Feliz Navidad!

24 December 2011 | Mazatlan, MX
Dan / Clear 60 Light NNW winds
We’ll use our bully pulpit today to send out a Christmas cheer to all on our list. Today is Christmas and we are planning to sail this evening to Isla Isabel, a small island about 90 miles south of Mazatlan. It is often referred to as the Galapagos of the Sea of Cortez. On it are found blue-footed boobies, frigate birds, iguanas and many other interesting animals, it is also a favorite place for many types of whales. We plan to anchor for a day or two and then head back to Mazatlan. Posted to the sail blog site is a picture of the new crew of Sophie, ready for some warm Christmas family times.

The year for us has been most remarkable. High on the list is our joy in celebrating Will’s graduation from New Mexico State University with honors. He achieved that academic milestone of a Bachelor’s degree in psychology with a supplementary major in linguistics. That momentous event served as a catalyst for the sailing adventure that we are now on and also provided the impetus for Gayle and Stephen to join us here in Mazatlan. It is so nice to have the family together, if only for one week. Our non-traditional way of celebrating Christmas has in itself become a tradition. For example, Will has spent ¼ of his Christmases here on the sailing vessel Sophie, quite remarkable. While we do miss the romance of a white Christmas, it sure is nice to be able to enjoy seventy-degree weather on the beach.

Gayle is settling into the full-time life of a working mechanical engineer with real deadlines and deliverables in an effort to ensure the efficacy of the US nuclear stockpile; pretty heady stuff for a young professional. Stephen has taken up the task of youth pastor at Calvary Chapel in Los Alamos. He now is in the position of role model for the youth that he himself was just a few years ago. My, how quickly the torch gets passed to the next generation.

Dan is on his first sabbatical ever, and still getting used to the fact that one does not need to wear a badge while sailing and surfing. And he is perhaps just settling in to the fact that for many Mondays to come he will not have to put on shoes and a real shirt.

All of us find ourselves in good health and in good cheer this season; we hope the same for all of you.

Fair winds in your journeys,

The crew of Sophie, readying for sea,
25 December 2011
Comments

About & Links