Sound Effect does the big U

14 November 2012
23 April 2012 | Punta Gorda
13 April 2012 | Gasparilla
12 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
04 April 2012 | Gasparilla marina
03 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
01 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina florida
30 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
27 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
21 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
13 March 2012
12 March 2012
10 March 2012 | Cancun area
09 March 2012 | Quintana Roo
07 March 2012 | El Cid
03 March 2012 | Marina El Cid
03 March 2012 | Puerto Morales
01 March 2012 | Puerto Morales Mexico
28 February 2012
24 February 2012 | Texan Bay

El Salvador! Finally!

20 April 2011 | Bahia Del Sol
Hot!!!!!
Sound Effect has arrived in Bahia Del Sol El Salvador. We were towed the final 145 miles by SV Kokomo. They returned 25 miles to pick us up and we rigged a towing bridle that worked very well.
I canabalized my outboard fuel pump line with pump ball to try and improve the fuel flow on the engine it worked sort of but I accepted the assistance of a mechanic who came out before our bar crossing to trouble shoot.
He also brought an electric fuel pump as at the time I thought the mechanical lift pump on the engine had failed. However in the end we suspect a blockage in the primary racor fuel filter so we cut and spliced the fuel lines to bypass the fuel filter and run directly out of a jerry can I placed in the aft stateroom next to the engine. This worked and I am now in, but, until I can order and receive a new pump I am out of commision for the engine and I have to build a new fuel delivery system for the dinghy outboard that I canabalized. We are going to skype and hopefully order the fuel filter system for Andrew to deliver when he comes to visit us.
We were in constant communications with three other boats during the issue and also with the El Salvador rally Jean of Mitu Kulu who arranged for a mechanic to be brought out to my boat. Robyn the mechanic is a retired Canadian heavy equipment mechanic who came out at 9 am and stayed all day. We got the engine running pretty quickly and just talked in the cockpit while the engine purrred along, I made water and we waited to go over the bar at high tide at 4 pm in the afternoon.
At no time were we in danger from an engine down as we are a sailboat
However we may have been out an extra week trying to find a breeze and then skiping El Salvador because without an engine the port captain would not let you in.
Today is my birthday Connie made pancakes this morning and tonite Becky has invited us for dinner and Connie baked a cake. By the way while cruising it is common knowledge that each year makes you younger so We started at 59 so I am now58 so Connie is officially a "cougar" married to a younger man.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sound Effect
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour385
Hailing Port: Tacoma WA
Crew: Jim & Connie Merritt
About: Jim and Connie have been sailing since 1975 and have owned four different boats. Racing and cruising Puget Sound Jim has earned a 100 Ton Coast Guard License and US sailing instructor credentials
Extra: Dreaming about full time cruising for20yrs, Jim and Connie have been actively planning for 5 years since participating in the 2005 BaJa Ha Ha

Who: Jim & Connie Merritt
Port: Tacoma WA