Sound Effect does the big U

14 November 2012
23 April 2012 | Punta Gorda
13 April 2012 | Gasparilla
12 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
04 April 2012 | Gasparilla marina
03 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
01 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina florida
30 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
27 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
21 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
13 March 2012
12 March 2012
10 March 2012 | Cancun area
09 March 2012 | Quintana Roo
07 March 2012 | El Cid
03 March 2012 | Marina El Cid
03 March 2012 | Puerto Morales
01 March 2012 | Puerto Morales Mexico
28 February 2012
24 February 2012 | Texan Bay

Solida Muria

03 November 2011
We left Kokomo early this morning and motor sailed to Isla Maquina to pick up our guide to see Kuna ceremonies. The guided Idelphonso is a nice young man who had brought his brother the master mola maker to the boat Sunday.
When we picked him up he brought his nephew and suggested a nearby island as a better place for the ceremony. So off we went.
The island of Soddad Miria turned out to be a surprise. Anchored behind we went ashore in the dingy and went to find the chief to ask permission. For $2 bucks we were brought into a dark wooden longhouse of very crude construction. The women were all dressed in native costumes of Molas on shirt and skirts, beaded leggings, and colorful head scarves. They wear a thin black line painted from top of the nose to chin down the center of their face and often some gold jewelry as a nose ring.
The men are dressed in cast off western clothes. Surfer shorts and Tee shirts. The only ceremony we saw was everyone getting drunk. The history goes back to a fermenting of sugar cane, however rum is cheap and better so they buy cases of cheap rum. However, holding a conversation with drunk people in your own language is difficult when in Spanish or Kuna next to impossible! We had enough and retired to our boat. The young boy stayed with his grandmother and uncles on the island and Indelphonso came back to the boat.
The whole experience was Natural Geographic meets the cell phone age.
This was a native village of huts built of small pieces of wood and palm frond roofs. They were cooking on open fires with dirt floors, and hammocks for sleeping. Children were running around naked, bare chested women, and public bathing on the beach. This contrasted with TV antennas, cell phones, and solar panels. The other sad observation is that the garbage is dumped in the sea which years ago may have been ok, but today with plastic packaging it isn't going to degrade and is piling up in three feet of crystal clear water.
The people were shy but friendly and it was a privilege to get a glimpse at their culture.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sound Effect
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour385
Hailing Port: Tacoma WA
Crew: Jim & Connie Merritt
About: Jim and Connie have been sailing since 1975 and have owned four different boats. Racing and cruising Puget Sound Jim has earned a 100 Ton Coast Guard License and US sailing instructor credentials
Extra: Dreaming about full time cruising for20yrs, Jim and Connie have been actively planning for 5 years since participating in the 2005 BaJa Ha Ha

Who: Jim & Connie Merritt
Port: Tacoma WA