Sound Effect does the big U

14 November 2012
23 April 2012 | Punta Gorda
13 April 2012 | Gasparilla
12 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
04 April 2012 | Gasparilla marina
03 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
01 April 2012 | Gasparilla Marina florida
30 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
27 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
21 March 2012 | Gasparilla Marina
13 March 2012
12 March 2012
10 March 2012 | Cancun area
09 March 2012 | Quintana Roo
07 March 2012 | El Cid
03 March 2012 | Marina El Cid
03 March 2012 | Puerto Morales
01 March 2012 | Puerto Morales Mexico
28 February 2012
24 February 2012 | Texan Bay

Rio Dulce

11 February 2012 | Marios's Marina
Sunny, rainy, warm, wonderful
This morning we arrived at Marios Marina in the Rio Dulce Guatemala! What an adventure since our last entry. Our internet stick ran out for Honduras and we have had no internet capability until we purchased a new stick in Guatemala. We also were unable to operate the SSB email connection due to propagation issues and problems with the Pactor modem. But all is well now.
After our last entry we spent some additional time in Utila and then checked out of the country (very easy and Honduras charges nothing! the first country to have that honor). We planned an overnight sail to a staging area for the entry over the bar into the Rio Dulce. However the wind did not cooperate and we motor sailed into the wind for 15 hours until the engine overheated forcing us to sail in 2-3 kts of wind. It picked up later the next morning and we tacked and tacked and tacked against wind on the nose and a 1 kt adverse current! Finally, late the second afternoon the wind died once again and I tried the engine once again. I should also point out that by then I had, reviewed the raw water sea strainer and topped off the engine coolant. I saved the raw water pump impeller for the next anchorage. Well we ran the engine at very low RPM for the next 4 hours and made the anchorage at sunset of the second day. We made SSB contact with the net reported that we were safe and sound and went to bed for 12 hours. Thursday we got up checked the impeller (it was fine) and then dove the sail drive lower leg in very poor visibility. I was able to remove some small shells from the raw water intake using a dental pick, and I also check the prop. Did I tell you that we repeatedly ran over sacks of plastic wrapped garabage that fouled the prop (and may have been a contributing reason for overheating) I knew there was garbage in the ocean but seeing it constantly is so sad and a reason to wish they had never invented plastic!
Friday morning we arose with the sun and prepared to motor the last 10 miles to arrive at high tide to cross the Rio Dulce bar. The bar is reported to be 5.5ft with a tide of 1.35ft we should be ok barely (we draw 5ft9inches officially but with overloading the boat is it 6ft even? We crossed one mile over the bar sometimes go to 5ft 8inches but we did ground much to our surprise (small calibration error or did we just burrow through the soft mud?) We got in anchored out with the Qflag flying and in about 30 minutes we had the port capitain (complete with pressed uniforma and shined shoes), a doctor complete with scubs, immigration official, and customs, along with an agent. We made pleasantries, they asked questions, and we completed the process onshore after I had retrieved money from the ATM. Fast, friendly, and convenient, no taxi rides, to distant locations, no offices that can't be found. simple and quick Got to love Guatemala.
Then we left motoring up river against the flow 1-2 kts and arrived at La Laguna formerly Texan Bay, where we anchored for the night. The trip up the river gorge was beautiful, and we both noted more wildlife since we left the pacific. Pelican, Cormorants, Frigates, and a little finch like bird that loves the boat, as well as Connies says a Manatee (not yet confirmed)
Saturday morning up early for a trip across a lake call El Golfete, to the "Rio" where there are numerous marinas. We were welcomed into Marios, and have met many cruisers in the first 30 minutes.
More later
Comments
Vessel Name: Sound Effect
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour385
Hailing Port: Tacoma WA
Crew: Jim & Connie Merritt
About: Jim and Connie have been sailing since 1975 and have owned four different boats. Racing and cruising Puget Sound Jim has earned a 100 Ton Coast Guard License and US sailing instructor credentials
Extra: Dreaming about full time cruising for20yrs, Jim and Connie have been actively planning for 5 years since participating in the 2005 BaJa Ha Ha

Who: Jim & Connie Merritt
Port: Tacoma WA