Vance Watch - Day 2
02 November 2014 | 27 41.36'N:114 53.34'W, Turtle Bay, Baja Mexico
Our new friend "Vance" is being promoted today from a tropical storm to hurricane status. Although, still over 1000 miles to the South of us, Vance continues to move North towards our course if we were to sail South, planned. Even though Vance is projected to drop way down to a tropical depression before it gets to our path, it still will bring heavy wind and large, confused seas.
While we sit here in Turtle Bay, we are making the most of our time. Yesterday was spent making a new set of crew shirts which have been a HUGE hit with our fellow boaters. For the front of the shirt, Dave designed a hurricane logo with "BAJA HAHA" around it. On the back, we have the logo again, and "VANCE 2014". These shirts rock!
As I write this, the rally organizers are on the net with the fleet discussing whether to stay here in Turtle Bay or to head south to Bahia Santa Maria. Boats are all chiming in with their opinion on whether we should stay or go. Some boats are pushing to head South today. But, putting time pressure aside, we can't see the logic in leaving Turtle Bay. After lots of back and forth, the "Grand Poobah" has decided that the rally will officially stay here in Turtle Bay. Having said that, a few boats are heading out on their own on the way South today.
Irregardless of what the fleet decided, Speakeasy, had already decided to stay here in Turtle Bay until more of the weather and sea predictions firm up. We will update the blog again as the hurricane develops, and hopefully dissipates. Then, we will have a better idea of when we are heading South.