Speakeasy, Over The Horizon

The Voyages of Mark & Deanna Roozendaal

24 November 2016 | 26 41.15'S:153 7.72'E, Mooloolaba, Australia
13 November 2016 | 25 54.12'S:153 01.72'E, Tin Can Bay, Australia
12 November 2016 | 25 31.69'S:152 57.91'E, Fraser Island, Australia
31 October 2016 | 24 45.38'S:152 23.72'E, Bundaberg, Australia
30 October 2016 | 23 52'S:153 55'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
29 October 2016 | 23 28'S:156 47'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
28 October 2016 | 22 57'S:159 54'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
27 October 2016 | 22 40'S:163 13'E, On Passage - Noumea to Australia
26 October 2016 | 22 22'S:166 10'E, On Passage - Noumea to Australia
18 October 2016 | 22 16.60'S:166 26.40'E, Noumea, New Caledonia
17 October 2016 | 21 37'S:168 13'E, between Vanuatu and New Caledonia
14 October 2016 | 19 31.57'S:169 26.66'E, Port Resolution, Tanna I, Vanuatu
14 October 2016 | 19 31.57'S:169 26.66'E, Port Resolution, Tanna I, Vanuatu
14 October 2016 | 19 31.90'S:169 26.98'E, Mt. Yasur, Tanna I, Vanuatu
12 October 2016 | 19 31.58'S:169 29.65'E, Port Resolution, Vanuatu
09 October 2016 | 20 14.36'S:169 46.63'E, Aneityum, Vanuatu
03 October 2016 | 20 14.36'S:169 46.63'E, Aneityum, Vanuatu
02 October 2016 | 19 39'S:172 03'E, On Passage from Fiji to Vanuatu
01 October 2016 | 18 43'S:174 16'E, On Passage from Fiji to Vanuatu
27 September 2016 | 17 40.88'S:177 23.16'E, Vuda Marina, Fiji

The Other Society Islands - Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea, and Tahaa

15 July 2016 | 16 31.645'S:151 4.77'W, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Deanna
After the Puddle Jump Sailing Rendezvous in early July, we headed over to Opunohu Bay, the prettiest bay on the Island of Moorea. We walked up a steep mountain slope that took us though pineapple fields, archaeological sites and tropical forests. The pinnacle was the belvedere, a viewpoint overlooking the lovely anchorage below. We stopped for cold fresh coconut water, fresh mango sorbet and a tour of a large fruit farm.

The highlight of our time on Moorea was being in the ocean and feeding the rays. In shallow water which we could just stand up in, we were surrounded by tame rays and sharks that seemed completely at ease with our presence. The sensation of touching a ray is truly remarkable. Their rippling grey wings feel like soft wet leather. And the rays bring their bodies so close that you feel they're trying to climb on you, with their wide eyes staring intensely at you. The rays were quite tenacious, and I had wished we'd brought more sardines as the crackers I offered held no interest all. Certainly, being so close to sharks took me out of my comfort zone. Although we'd been snorkeling near sharks a few times on this trip, it was unnerving to put my hand out to a ray and have a shark come forward instead. I loved feeding the rays, and we went back for a second encounter the next day.

Our overnight passage to Huahine was easy, and this Island quickly became our favorite in the Leeward Island group. The small town of Fare (650 people) appealed to us immediately due to the friendly greetings we received from everyone. We rented a scooter and toured the perimeter of the Island and its little adjoining Island, or Iti. Almost every roadside and oceanside home and property we saw looked immaculate with lush, well-tended gardens. Plantations of vanilla, breadfruit, taro and pineapples were everywhere on Huahine, and tourist development was not.

The highlight of our time on Huahine Island was the opening night of the local Island Heiva dance competition. We'd seen professional Polynesian dancers, but this competition was a true celebration of local Huahine community and culture. I expect that every Fare family was in attendance at the sand floored stadium, and the performers were local musicians, singers and dancers of every age, shape, size. After a plethora of colourful ceremony and speeches and a Huahine version of the Frozen song, at least 80 locals danced with passion and costume changes galore. Dance teachers helped with costume readjustments in situ, except with one young man who lost his sarong and danced bashfully in his tight brown jockeys, to the humor of the audience. But don't get me wrong, these locals could dance - every single woman skillfully gyrated and shook her grass skirt, while gracefully moving her arms and keeping her upper body upright and still. We enjoyed the atmosphere in the audienc e as much as the performances, and the unsolicited car rides we received to and from the stadium added to our experience as well.

Next, we were off to Raiatea and Tahaa, where we anchored in stunningly beautiful anchorages. Faaroa Bay is a gorgeous anchorage in view of a mountainous valley. We headed toward the Appomau River at the end of the Bay and almost immediately ran into James, the friendly kayaker who offers tours of his farmland. After completing our cruise of the river which was lined with papaya trees, ornamental ginger and beautiful tropical blossoms and plants, James showed us the sights and flora on his family vanilla plantation. With a fresh coconut to go, we headed home with more papayas, passionfruit, oranges, bananas and herbs that we could have imagined. For $25, we gorged for several weeks on the sweetest and most delicious fruit that we'd encountered in French Polynesia.

Our anchorage near the the second largest town in French Polynesia, Uturoa, offered a new experience. With other catamarans exclusively, we braved a very narrow and very shallow pass that led to the most stunning aquamarine shallow water anchorage we'd seen. We'd been given helpful local knowledge about this anchorage from Pierre, a French catamaran sailor. It was equally scary and exciting to see how closely a catamaran can sit overtop the sand. At this and other anchorages in Huahine, Raiatea and Tahaa, we had the unusual experience of being amongst the majority of types of boats on the water. Many charter boat companies operate in these waters, and catamarans appear to be the vessel of choice for their customers.

The Islands of Raiatea and Tahaa also provided us with the opportunity to anchor adjacent to over-the-water bungalow hotels. To begin with, I was fascinated with these picturesque accommodations, as every South Pacific dreamer is. However, after viewing hundreds of these bungalows in various resorts through the South Pacific Islands, I feel fortunate that my bed doesn't cost me $1000+ per night. Well, actually, any new part we need to repair Speakeasy will easily cost us that amount and more. Either way, the views from these bungalows and from Speakeasy do not disappoint.
Comments
Vessel Name: Speakeasy
Vessel Make/Model: 2007 Manta IV 42' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Victoria, BC, Canada
Crew: Mark & Deanna Roozendaal
About:
In 2005 we were lucky enough to be able to take a one year sabbatical where we sailed from Victoria BC to Mexico and Hawaii in our Catalina 42. We had a fantastic time! As soon as we returned home, we started dreaming about our next trip. [...]
Social:
Speakeasy's Photos - (Main)
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2016
For our newest pictures, please look on the right hand side of our page under FAVOURITES and click on "2015+ Photo Gallery". This will take you to Flickr where we now store all of our photos.
No Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Yelapa is a small village on the South shore of Banderas Bay, near Puerto Vallarta. Unless you own a hummer, is only accessible by boat which gives it a nice laid back vibe
10 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Our furthest South point this year.
13 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Manzanillo is a huge commercial port between Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo. Not that much tourism here which makes it a very authentic Mexican city
5 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Pictures from Tenacatita and a few other anchorages in the area.
17 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
A few pictures from our Christmas visit to Barra & Melaque
11 Photos
Created 19 January 2015
A quick visit to the small fishing village of Chamela
5 Photos
Created 28 December 2014
Isla Isabella is an island about 20 miles offshore Mexico, between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. it is a nesting ground for a number of sea birds and has been the subject of several documentaries. The birds and lizards on the island have no fear of humans.
26 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
13 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
9 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
From Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas
15 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
Sailing from Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria, Mexico
12 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
We participated in the rally again this year. Here are a few pics from the pre-start party, the start, and the first leg to Turtle Bay, Mexico. Credit to Dave Tolman for most of the pictures.
25 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
We spend the better part of a week first in Catalina Harbor and then in the opposite side of the isthmus in Two Harbors
7 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
Our time in the big city
4 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
A few pics from our brief stop in this richie rich tourist town
4 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
Morro Bay, California
15 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
Big waves at Morro Bay from a low pressure system that rolled through North of us
10 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
7 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
Our side trip to the Delta and Sacramento from the San Francisco Bay
27 Photos
Created 9 September 2014
20 Photos
Created 21 August 2014
27 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Prior to our departure, we hauled out at Canoe Cove, BC, Canada.
13 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
"Speakeasy" is a 2007 Manta 42 MKIV Catamaran. We purchased her in 2013 from the original owners. Manta's come fairly well equipped from the factory for offshore cruising. We will be adding the rest of the necessary equipment.
23 Photos
Created 10 February 2013
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 May 2011
1 Photo | 15 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
25 Photos
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006

Speakeasy - Manta 42 Catamaran

Who: Mark & Deanna Roozendaal
Port: Victoria, BC, Canada

Where are Mark & Deanna?