Speakeasy, Over The Horizon

The Voyages of Mark & Deanna Roozendaal

24 November 2016 | 26 41.15'S:153 7.72'E, Mooloolaba, Australia
13 November 2016 | 25 54.12'S:153 01.72'E, Tin Can Bay, Australia
12 November 2016 | 25 31.69'S:152 57.91'E, Fraser Island, Australia
31 October 2016 | 24 45.38'S:152 23.72'E, Bundaberg, Australia
30 October 2016 | 23 52'S:153 55'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
29 October 2016 | 23 28'S:156 47'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
28 October 2016 | 22 57'S:159 54'E, On Passage - Noumea, New Caledonia to Bundaberg, Australia
27 October 2016 | 22 40'S:163 13'E, On Passage - Noumea to Australia
26 October 2016 | 22 22'S:166 10'E, On Passage - Noumea to Australia
18 October 2016 | 22 16.60'S:166 26.40'E, Noumea, New Caledonia
17 October 2016 | 21 37'S:168 13'E, between Vanuatu and New Caledonia
14 October 2016 | 19 31.57'S:169 26.66'E, Port Resolution, Tanna I, Vanuatu
14 October 2016 | 19 31.57'S:169 26.66'E, Port Resolution, Tanna I, Vanuatu
14 October 2016 | 19 31.90'S:169 26.98'E, Mt. Yasur, Tanna I, Vanuatu
12 October 2016 | 19 31.58'S:169 29.65'E, Port Resolution, Vanuatu
09 October 2016 | 20 14.36'S:169 46.63'E, Aneityum, Vanuatu
03 October 2016 | 20 14.36'S:169 46.63'E, Aneityum, Vanuatu
02 October 2016 | 19 39'S:172 03'E, On Passage from Fiji to Vanuatu
01 October 2016 | 18 43'S:174 16'E, On Passage from Fiji to Vanuatu
27 September 2016 | 17 40.88'S:177 23.16'E, Vuda Marina, Fiji

Day 3: Au Revoir Bora Bora

20 July 2016 | 14 9.49'S:159 27.18'W, Between Bora Bora and Suwarrow Atoll
Mark & Deanna
Days at sea completed: 3

Distance sailed in the last 24 hours (nm): 162 Distance sailed total (nm): 303 Distance to go (nm): 219

Wind Speed & Direction (knots): ENE 15-20 and then N 10-15 Waves (ft): NE 5

Mark: It's been an interesting last 24 hours with quite a variety of wind strengths and directions! For most of yesterday, since my last 8am report, we had a lovely 20 knots directly from behind. That let us run wing on wing at 8-9 knots directly towards our destination. It was great sailing with surfs to 11 knots on the bigger waves - lots of fun! In fact, it was going so well it looked like we would make it to Suwarrow in four nights instead of five, as long as the wind held. However, as soon as one thinks that, Mother Nature sends a curve ball. Last night the wind dropped to near zero and we had to motor much of the night. Then, this morning, after a very wet squall line came through, we then ended up with a North wind, ninety degrees different than just a few hours before.

The strange winds in this area are not totally unexpected. We are in an area called the SPCZ (South Pacific Convergence Zone) where several different wind systems meet. One minute we can be in a nice comfortable trade wind and the next hour we can be in a totally different wind as both systems compete for dominance. Where these wind systems meet they are divided by squalls and thunderstorms - just as we experienced early this morning.

We are sailing along quite comfortably at about 6 knots right now, but after lots of slow motoring, 6 knots won't be enough to get us to Suwarrow before dark tomorrow night. If Suwarrow was a regular harbour that we knew well, no problem going in at night. But, it is very dangerous to go into a coral infested, rather uncharted, atoll in anything other than good light from above. Instead of charts, we rely on eye-ball navigation to get in safely. So, at our current pace, we will arrive just as the sun is setting. Darn! We seem to be quite good at arriving just a little too late!

Deanna: Our French Polynesian flag has been been lowered and we're sailing beautifully toward Suwarrow Atoll. The sun is shining, the seas are calm and we're experiencing trade winds sailing at its best. Speakeasy is racing along at 7-8 knots in a steady wind of 15-20 knots. We're sailing wing on wing (a sail out on each side), and the sails rarely need adjustment. If conditions were always this lovely, I'd keep sailing around the world!

We said a bittersweet goodbye to Bora Bora. In our nine days there, we'd been fighting colds and making preparations to leave the country and start an ocean passage. Moreover, the unsettled weather conditions often kept us onboard. However, in our final days when the brilliant sunshine came out and the winds and seas calmed, we got out and both agreed that we could've enjoyed more time exploring this postcard perfect Island.

Bora Bora is a gem, most certainly! We've visited over a dozen islands in French Polynesia, and this one dramatically showcases elements of all we've seen. Like the Marquesas, an underwater volcano gave birth to Bora Bora. Now, the Island is distinguished by three spectacular mountain peaks covered in lush green vegetation. An ocean pool, or lagoon, surrounds the Island, and it's protected from the large waves and currents of the Pacific by the walls of a coral reef. Like the Tuamotus, the coral reef forms a circle, but in the Tuamotus the coral circle is broken and has wide ocean gaps in many places. Bora Bora's circle reef is nearly complete, except for one small gap or pass that allows water and vessels in and out. Also, Bora Bora's lagoon is dotted with motus - idealic coral islands with palm trees. The airport is located on one, and swanky over-the-water bungalow resorts rest on many of the others.

Unfortunately, there's a downside to Bora Bora's single pass. The lack of fresh cool ocean water flowing around the Island has had a negative effect on the coral. Snorkeling near Motu Piti and the Sofitel Resorts with John and Deb from Moonshadow, I was surprised to see grey lifeless coral and broken coral pieces spelling out "BORA BORA LOVE" on the sandy bottom. Tour boats were constantly bringing tourists to feed the colorful and very tame fish in the area. It was plain to see that Bora Bora's tourism and development has effected the fragile health of the coral as well.

Water clarity is astounding in the Bora Bora lagoon, and this provided for a paddling experience like no other. Anchored near the Bloody Mary Restaurant where we enjoyed dinner with John and Deb, I paddled above and along a dramatic coral wall descending directly below my board. It was a strange sensation to gaze so deeply into the water and let my eyes follow the descent of a steep underwater cliff. The clear flat water allowed me to see right to the sandy bottom. It was similar to standing on the rooftop edge of an eight story building and looking straight down to the ground below - eerie and fascinating at the same time.

I paddled on toward a viewpoint which I will always remember. The point appeared to be the site of a long abandoned resort, and it was clear why this had been the chosen location. The ocean had dramatic depth changes, unbelievable clarity and sparkling reflection from the sun. A white sand beach beckoned me and I lingered there alone for quite a while. I kept shaking my head as my eyes took in an unbelievable array of ocean colours. Vivid shades of purple, navy, blue and turquoise danced in the sunlight, and the color transitions were astonishing. It was as if a crayon line had been drawn in a curve to delineate the start of each colour band. Later on, on a shoreline walk and dinghy excursion with Mark, we saw these dramatic visual effects in the ocean all along Matira beach. Regrettably, many abandoned hotel and resort sites dotted his shoreline, likely due to the newer over-the-water bungalow resorts on the motus.

The outrigger canoe races, part of the local Heiva celebration, will serve as a fond memory of Bora Bora too. Speakeasy had perfect timing and placement to view races, not once but twice. Both races were incredibly long distances compared to the short course we paddled as part of the Rendezvous. Firstly, we cheered on the six person canoes as they'd rounded a mark near the airport motu and headed back toward the town of Viatape. Secondly, Speakeasy was perfectly positioned in the middle of the single outrigger canoe race course. With nearly a hundred colorfully attired paddlers and their brightly painted canoes maneuvering around our bow and stern, we had the best seats in the house. The frontrunner paddlers had family to yell and cheer for them from small speedboats following them on the race course. For those that didn't, we clapped and yelled "allez, allez!" which often brought a smile to the paddler's face and a subsequent surge of energy.

Au revoir Bora Bora! You confirmed that French Polynesia is not a destination to check off my bucket list. I hope to return and see your astonishing beauty once again.
Comments
Vessel Name: Speakeasy
Vessel Make/Model: 2007 Manta IV 42' Catamaran
Hailing Port: Victoria, BC, Canada
Crew: Mark & Deanna Roozendaal
About:
In 2005 we were lucky enough to be able to take a one year sabbatical where we sailed from Victoria BC to Mexico and Hawaii in our Catalina 42. We had a fantastic time! As soon as we returned home, we started dreaming about our next trip. [...]
Social:
Speakeasy's Photos - (Main)
3 Photos
Created 1 March 2016
For our newest pictures, please look on the right hand side of our page under FAVOURITES and click on "2015+ Photo Gallery". This will take you to Flickr where we now store all of our photos.
No Photos
Created 19 April 2015
Yelapa is a small village on the South shore of Banderas Bay, near Puerto Vallarta. Unless you own a hummer, is only accessible by boat which gives it a nice laid back vibe
10 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Our furthest South point this year.
13 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Manzanillo is a huge commercial port between Puerto Vallarta and Zihuatanejo. Not that much tourism here which makes it a very authentic Mexican city
5 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
Pictures from Tenacatita and a few other anchorages in the area.
17 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
A few pictures from our Christmas visit to Barra & Melaque
11 Photos
Created 19 January 2015
A quick visit to the small fishing village of Chamela
5 Photos
Created 28 December 2014
Isla Isabella is an island about 20 miles offshore Mexico, between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. it is a nesting ground for a number of sea birds and has been the subject of several documentaries. The birds and lizards on the island have no fear of humans.
26 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
13 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
9 Photos
Created 16 December 2014
From Bahia Santa Maria to Cabo San Lucas
15 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
Sailing from Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria, Mexico
12 Photos
Created 14 November 2014
We participated in the rally again this year. Here are a few pics from the pre-start party, the start, and the first leg to Turtle Bay, Mexico. Credit to Dave Tolman for most of the pictures.
25 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
We spend the better part of a week first in Catalina Harbor and then in the opposite side of the isthmus in Two Harbors
7 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
Our time in the big city
4 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
A few pics from our brief stop in this richie rich tourist town
4 Photos
Created 17 October 2014
Morro Bay, California
15 Photos
Created 2 October 2014
11 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
Big waves at Morro Bay from a low pressure system that rolled through North of us
10 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
7 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
Our side trip to the Delta and Sacramento from the San Francisco Bay
27 Photos
Created 9 September 2014
20 Photos
Created 21 August 2014
27 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Prior to our departure, we hauled out at Canoe Cove, BC, Canada.
13 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
"Speakeasy" is a 2007 Manta 42 MKIV Catamaran. We purchased her in 2013 from the original owners. Manta's come fairly well equipped from the factory for offshore cruising. We will be adding the rest of the necessary equipment.
23 Photos
Created 10 February 2013
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 15 May 2011
1 Photo | 15 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
25 Photos
Created 1 December 2006
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006

Speakeasy - Manta 42 Catamaran

Who: Mark & Deanna Roozendaal
Port: Victoria, BC, Canada

Where are Mark & Deanna?