SV Tanga

no experience necessary

21 November 2015 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji Islands
03 November 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
23 October 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
29 June 2015 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
12 June 2015 | Musket Cove Marina, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
05 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
17 August 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
26 July 2014 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
06 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
04 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
01 July 2014 | 17 23.614S:177 '47.72E
30 June 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
25 June 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
29 May 2014 | Port Denerau Marina, Fiji
21 May 2014 | Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 May 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
23 April 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
08 April 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
05 March 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji

Our sail to Cabo San Lucas

17 March 2012 | Cabo San Lucas
Day 1
We left Ensenada around 8:30am and immediately raised the main and put the first reef in. Per our weather reports, we were expecting some wind today. We motor-sailed through the bay and into the ocean. Once we were past the islands and Punta Banda, we turned Ethel off and began to sail.

We had some great wind and Tanga sailed along at 6-7knots. The winds continued to build throughout the day, and at some point in the afternoon, we hit 9.1 knots! That is the fastest we have sailed on Tanga! The sailing was exhilerating, but level and controlled, not overpowered! Around 4:00pm, the seas became confused and we got knocked around alittle bit. As the sun began to set, the winds died and we motored overnight. Total miles for day: 129

Day 2
No winds today. We relied on Ethel and motored all day and all night long. We attempted to sail three different times, but unfortunately, the winds were not strong enough to get us moving. Total miles for day: 139

Day 3
We really need to find some wind because Ethel was been running, nonstop, for over 36 hours. I placed an order with Tom for some fresh caught Tuna for din din. Tom has been in "hunt and gather mode" everyday, and today, while I was taking a nap and Tom at the helm, I'm awaken to Tom yelling "Fish on hook!" I scramble out of bed, grab the glove and plyers and run up to the cockpit. Tom is back with the fishing pole, and says "He's gone." URG! The fish bit but then ran. When Tom pulled in the line, we could see exactly where the fish bit on the lure, because he dented it. Oh so close, but atleast we have fish biting! Right before sunset, Tom was bringing in the fishing pole for the night, when the pole snapped right in half. He kept the reel and tossed the pole. Total miles for day: 121

Day 4
We started the day feeling happy because we are half way to Cabo! After running Ethel for 57 hours straight, we had to turn her off, let her cool down, so Tom could fix our alternator problem. We bobbed around in the water at 2 knots, while Tom was in the engine room. The alternator (a new/remanufactured) would not charge, or so he thought. Turns out the prior owner had made a splice that was crap, and wasn't seen previously; thus a re-wiring project at sea began. 5 hours later, Tom had it all fixed and he climbed out of the engine room, in between swells. We turned Ethel back on and motored the rest of the day. As the sun was setting, we decided to lower the main. While doing this, the #5 sail slide on the mainsail broke. We now can only raise our mainsail to the 2nd reef point. We continued to motor through the night. Wind, oh wind, where are thou wind? Total miles for day: 129

Day 5
The last few days, I have been on watch while the sun rises and Tom has been on watch when the sun sets. I prefer the sun rising; I find it gives me energy. As for the moon, since the first night, we have had a great big full moon which lights up the night sky. This moon light has helped us stay awake on the night watches.

This morning, we had our first bird landing on this trip. I was on watch; it was just after the sun rose, and I see this bird circling around us in the sky. Before I knew it, I looked astern, and there was the bird, sitting behind me, cleaning itself. He stayed with us for about 1/2 hr before flying away. Tom wanted chicken for breakfast but I said no.

We experienced steep and short following breaking seas today. The swells were 6 seconds apart. Those are short and tight swells which make for a bumpy ride. Still motoring. We are getting physically tired of hand steering 24/7. Our autopilot is a hydrovayne, so it only works when sailing; we didn't expect this total lack of air.

We had 2 whales swim 50 feet off our bow today! We thought we would hit them but they swam past as we closed into a body length of them. We think they were fin whales. They then moved far away from our boat and we watched them off our starboard side before they disappeared. We had another fish bite today, but this time, the fish bit the lure off the line and swam away. Fish 2, Tom 0. We had confused and choppy seas through the night, from the west and north. Still motoring. Total mile for day: 117

Day 6
I woke Tom up at 6am, and said "Lets go sailing!" We finally have wind! Ethel did a great job of running for a solid 43 hours and now it's time for her to rest. During our morning sail, we enjoyed the sounds of the lapping water, and the balanced feel of Tanga sailing. It was a very relaxed and peaceful sail at 5 knots.

We made contact, via VHF, with Disney Wonder cruiseship at 7am because we were on a collision course, based on our AIS (Automated Identification System). The AIS is required for all commerical vessels and an option for pleasure boats. It's a pretty cool system that tells us all the information about any vessel within a 15 mile radius of us. Anyway, the cruiseship had to alter their course around us since we were sailing and had the right a way.

As it turned to afternoon, the seas and winds continued to build stronger. The seas were still confused and choppy, from the north and west. This made for an exciting sail. At this point, it looked like we were about 14 hours outside of Cabo. Because we had time to spare, we decided to sail where the wind took us and had a great time doing so.

Around 5:oopm, we decided to turn Ethel back on for the last time. We made the decision to motor the rest of the way to Cabo. We are about 50 miles west offshore. This was when the fun started!

The story about the last 30 hours of our cruise to Cabo is to be continued. We have lots to say which is why it is going to be a seperate post. Stay tuned!!!

Vessel Name: Tanga
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan OutIsland 415
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Tom and Monica
About: Hi and welcome to our website. We are beginning our new journey in life of sailing around the world. Please follow along with us in our new adventures.
Home Page:
Tanga's Photos - Main
Our 3rd year spent in Fiji.
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Our second year spent in Fiji.
57 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
May 2013 - December 2013
105 Photos
Created 18 May 2013
November 2012 - April 2013
15 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
September and October 2012
53 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
August 2012
15 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
August 2012
8 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
12 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
July 2012
19 Photos
Created 30 July 2012
June 2012
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
May 2012. Left Puerto Vallarta and 34 days later, we arrived on Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas.
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
March 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 1 November 2011
11 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 27 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
14 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
November 2010 through August 2011
22 Photos
Created 30 August 2011