SV Tanga

no experience necessary

21 November 2015 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji Islands
03 November 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
23 October 2015 | Savu Savu, Fiji
29 June 2015 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
12 June 2015 | Musket Cove Marina, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
05 September 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
17 August 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
26 July 2014 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
06 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
04 July 2014 | Nananu-i-ra Island, Viti Levu, Fiji
01 July 2014 | 17 23.614S:177 '47.72E
30 June 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
25 June 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
29 May 2014 | Port Denerau Marina, Fiji
21 May 2014 | Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
19 May 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai, Fiji
23 April 2014 | Musket Cove, Malolo Lai Lai Island, Fiji
08 April 2014 | Port Denarau Marina, Fiji
05 March 2014 | Vuda Marina, Fiji

18 years and counting!

08 November 2013 | Musket Cove, Malalo Lai Lai, Fiji
The other day (actually about 2 weeks ago), we went out surfing with our friends. After a great day on the break for everybody, we were sitting on their yacht and Monica comes up from the salon and say’s guess what? Today is our anniversary! We’ve actually been “together” for 21 years and married 18 years. After a couple congrats from John and Lulu and a hug from me, we all settled in to relax with a cold beverage. Then John say’s for our anniversary, he and Lulu want to take us out to Cloud 9.

Cloud 9 is a floating bar on the reef between Cloudbreak and Tavarua Island. The location and facilities are remarkable. Cruiser note: The holding is great, but pay close attention to the various areas of bombies. We had a ball. After we all got our beer muscles on, it was time to climb up on the second floor railing and jump into the water. After we all went for a jump, Monica and I decided we should jump while holding hands. While it sounds like a great idea, it went a little awry. To Tom, jump meant JUMP, to Monica this meant step off. Thus, she went straight down pulling Tom onto his side and the impact was rather loud and woke up his ribs for a few minutes of minor pain.

Since team Tanga had only planned on going surfing with JnL and then returning home that afternoon, we left all our windows and hatches open. So, of course it rained all night while we were away and we returned to a wet boat the next day. But it was worth the price.

A couple days later, we all went surfing again, but this time we took Tanga while our buds took the Red Menace. After another great session, we moved the boats in between the outer and inner reefs and anchored in multi-colored waters and pristine views. We went to sleep in nice perfectly calm weather, but Mother Nature likes to mess with us, so during the middle of the night, she started blowing pretty strong. Since we were between a couple reefs, the swell wasn’t too bad, just enough to annoy us and keep our sleep lousy. Thus, when then sun came up, we looked at the surf and saw it was a blow out and decided to pull the hook and head for the protection of Musket Cove. As we pulled the hook, yet another nice surprise, we wrapped a bombie! Unfortunately it was at 60 feet of water, so Tom couldn’t swim down and unwrap us. We started working the throttle and helm and windlass together and a little help from the wind waves and we got the chain and anchor off. Then it was back to Musket for some beer butt chicken on the fire.

Since then we’ve been surfing every day with our friends. Tom got a nice reminder that a resin surf board does not give when it comes down on his nose. During a mild wipeout of his, I saw the board go flying in the air and thought I saw it hit his shoulder. After making sure he re-surfaced, I went back to talking with Lulu. Then we noticed Tom paddling back to the dingy after only an hour in the surf? This was odd because John and Tom go surfing till their arms fall off, usually about three or so hours. As he approached the dingy, he said the bridge of his nose hurt, and he was a little fuzzy. He wasn’t aware that he had blood streaming down his face until we pointed it out to him. After a little cleanup and a couple pictures, he had shaken out the cobwebs and was fine. Then we went to the Red Menace to treat the cut properly. Properly means scrubbing it out with Limes. Tom said this was worse than the impact of the board, but other than a couple girly whimpers, he took it like a trooper. We don’t think it’s broken, but parts that didn’t move before are a little loose when we touch it.

We would love to post pictures of our Cloud9 time and his nose, but our homo aussie friends haven’t given us a copy yet. So when we get copy’s we’ll post them. Fricken Aussies!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Tanga
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan OutIsland 415
Hailing Port: San Francisco, CA
Crew: Tom and Monica
About: Hi and welcome to our website. We are beginning our new journey in life of sailing around the world. Please follow along with us in our new adventures.
Home Page: http://www.tangaway.com
Tanga's Photos - Main
Our 3rd year spent in Fiji.
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Our second year spent in Fiji.
57 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
May 2013 - December 2013
105 Photos
Created 18 May 2013
November 2012 - April 2013
15 Photos
Created 19 November 2012
September and October 2012
53 Photos
Created 24 September 2012
August 2012
15 Photos
Created 20 August 2012
August 2012
8 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
August 2012
12 Photos
Created 5 August 2012
July 2012
19 Photos
Created 30 July 2012
June 2012
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
May 2012. Left Puerto Vallarta and 34 days later, we arrived on Nuka Hiva in the Marquesas.
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2012
March 2012
19 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
8 Photos
Created 1 November 2011
11 Photos
Created 13 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
6 Photos
Created 27 September 2011
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2011
14 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
November 2010 through August 2011
22 Photos
Created 30 August 2011