Today is Monday and if the rumors are true we will find out the status of our offer on "SV Hugeness" as we have dubbed her. We were told that we would know last Friday, then Saturday, and now it's today. Some of the delay is that we are in Mexico and some of the delay results from the fact that the current owners of the boat are currently separated and living back in the US. So each time an offer or counter offer gets made, two people have to be reached, which slows things down. I guess it would have went much faster if we would have just offered the asking price, but then again we would have much more money to buy sand paper and varnish if we get her for less than the asking price!
As soon as we know something....I'll make a quick post to keep all our friends and family updated. So hang in there with us for the suspense!
Once our offer is accepted, unfortunately that isn't the end of the buying process. We then will schedule surveys to have the boat inspected to make sure there are no hidden problems or issues. The entire boat, engine, and rigging will be scrutinized by three different "experts" while we look over their shoulders and then we will take the boat out of the harbor for a test sail/motor. Our offer is contingent upon not finding any disasters during the survey process and if we do, we can either "adjust our offer downward" to reflect the problems we have found or back out of the deal all together. So the offer acceptance stage is just the first step in the boat buying process, which could take a week or two to complete. Oh and the good news is that hurricane season begins in 5 days, so that's a nice clock ticking in the back of our minds as we sit here in the hurricane zone trying to buy a bigger boat!
These two photos may help explain why we like this potential new boat, which is a 1979 Hudson Force 50. If you have seen the movie "Captain Ron" this is the same boat Boss.
Here's a photo of "My Office" looking to Starboard:
And here's a photo of "My Office" looking to Port: