SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

Day 16 Trying for Turtle Bay

01 August 2012 | Again
Capt Rich
We spent Day 16 of our Baja Bash exploring the great town of Bahia Asuncion. First we like the calm anchorage that was quite comfortable as we waited out the 20-25kts of wind behind Punta Asuncion. We felt the wind, but the point provided a nice break water protecting us from the swell and waves, letting the wind sing through the rigging as we thanked God that we were here and not out in it!

This morning 4 fishermen in a large panga stopped by the boat to say hello. Looking down in their panga we could see a pile of fish. Large male Sheep Head, big 3ft Halibut, Rock fish, and what looked like a 5ft shark of some type I couldn't make out. We chatted for a bit and then they held up a nice size halibut and asked me if I wanted it. The answer was OF COURSE and when I tried to pay or trade something for it, they refused and said it was their gift to us. More Mexican hospitality was found when we hit the beach. John on Sea Raven needed a new starting battery and in short order a local Mexican fisherman was telling us where to go, which then led to him saying he would drive us there. So all 8 of us piled into his Suziki Samari and as most of us stood up in the back we drove through town first getting a battery and then going to a great restaurant and we invited our guide to lunch with us.

After being stuffed with a great Chili Rellano we set off to explore town a bit and wouldn't you know it that Lori and Amy found a flea market. Amy and Lori both bought some clothes while Jason and I started checking out the local markets and were impressed with what they had in the way of provisions. Lots of fresh veggies and everything a cruiser would need to stock up on was readily available. The prices were a little higher than La Paz, but this place is off the main highway making it pretty much out in the middle of no where.

It's too bad that we don't have more time to spend here because I think we would really like it, but we appear to have a weather window to make the final 50 miles to Turtle Bay, so we will take it. The fleet will pull anchor tonight at 10PM and with any luck will have our anchors down in Turtle Bay by 1PM tomorrow afternoon. With bad luck, we will find ourselves back at anchor here again in Bahia Asuncion licking our wounds from a pounding into sea and wind.

A note about the weather forecasting we have been using for the trip. To start, this trip has sure reminded us of how much we miss Don Anderson. Don understood the weather on the outside of Baja and the Sea of Cortez I think better than anyone. Don's passing last April is being felt by the entire Mexican Cruising Community who came to count on his forecasting abilities that he would share twice a day with the fleet with a special flare and personality. Since we have had great access to the internet with the TelCel Banda Ancha card, we have been using PassageWeather.com, Buoyweather.com, and a few GRIB files along with listening to Gary on the Sonrisa Ham radio net each morning to help make our weather decisions. But in truth, I think we could have just flipped a coin - heads we leave the anchorage and tails we stay in the anchorage for another day. Today's coin toss was heads, so off we go. But seriously, both our observations and the weather sites are all calling for the afternoon peak wind between 4-6PM each day. So by planning the majority of this 50 mile run to be at night, when the winds should be at their calmest, we hope to avoid the bash and take an easy motor. Will it work? Well we are about to find out tonight. If it doesn't work, it will be my fault just like the rest of this trip, as Lori has been reminding me. And each time she does, I tell here I'll gladly turn around and head back to La Paz for the summer!
Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008