SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

Dar-be Crazies Out there!

16 August 2012 | And they Read and Comment on Blogs
Capt Rich
As the ships clock chimed 8AM, 150ft of nicely regalvanized anchor chain came screaming out of the anchor windlass and after Lori applied full power in reverse, the 84 hour run was happily - mercifully over. Since leaving Ensenada Monday evening at 8PM, we have motored straight with only the 2 hour stop at the Customs Dock in San Diego to check into the Country. The crew was certainly ready to not hear and feel the vibration of our 120Hp Ford Lehman motor purring away under the salon floor. This is our first stay at Santa Rosa Island, so it was only fitting that as soon as we dropped our hook we did two loads of laundry which is now hanging on the life lines to dry in the warm afternoon sun. I think my undies have now been seen from Barra de Navidad, Mexico to Santa Rosa Island, which I guess could serve as a good quarantine flag!

From the anchorage we can see the white caps, as the NW wind of 20-25kts is conspiring to keep us here until those white caps go away, which we hope happens tomorrow morning. Being only 90 miles away from our Port San Luis mooring has us all ready to finish the trip and irritated that we couldn't get at least a little cooperation from the weather after we have come this far. But we have come to understand the Bouyweather.com forecasts as being nothing more than a lie. Once you accept them as a bold face "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" lie, then you can more easily move on and deal with the weather you have, compared to wishing and holding out hope for the weather you were promised.

We may not be home yet, but we will celebrate tonight with a SuCarne Arracherra steak dinner, compliments of our friends on SV Real Time who cleaned out their freezer in La Paz with special thanks to Patrick on Just A Minute, for driving me all the way out to Marina Costa Baja to pick up an ice chest full of great steaks and meats. Tonight we eat the last of our meat and we saved the best for last. We have no fresh veggies aboard at this point, but we do have the last of our Ensenada bollios to turn into garlic bread. I'm not honestly sure if we were allowed to bring the steak from Mexico into the US, so I stashed it in my pillow case while at the police docks, just to be sure. I'm still bitter over the USDA inspected Costco pork loin that I bought back in 2008 in Cabo San Lucas that the Customs agents took from me after my first Baja Bash and I wasn't going to risk my last Arracherra steak! I'm not sure who was more nervous, me, Amy or Lori as the Customs agents were aboard. Me for the steak. Amy for the clearly non-personal use supply of Huichol Jewelry aboard, and Lori for the collection of beach combing treasures that if found would surely lead to someone being water-boarded and put on the No-Fly List.

Yes, for those of you thinking it and for those that will no doubt be urged to send me emails expressing their outrage, shock and horror, part of the kid's home school education includes a course entitled, "Smuggling 101 - A Cruisers Guide to Smuggling". But by the time Capt Norm, Steve, or our other blog followers that love to hate us read this blog post and have time to notify the authorities of our crimes against humanity, the Arracherra steak will be digested and the offending beach combing contraband has already been off-loaded in San Diego. By now the various agents of the underground network of beach combing black market has already went through the boxes passed on in San Diego and as they say, "it's already on the street".

Now that we've mentioned it, it's time to talk a little about the downside of having a cruising blog and posting honestly about what you think, see, and feel for all the world to see, read, and then send you crack-pot-crazy-manifestos about. It's also why many of my cruising friends with blogs make a point to never post anything controversial or that could offend anyone; comments are first screened by a moderator to keep out the crazies. I've seen friends delete and modify blog posts after being attacked. I've read attacking emails and comments both directed at me on our blog and on our friends blogs that would have made the uni-bomber proud. I've seen crazies send both Mexican and US authorities emails and letters based on something they read in a blog post that outraged them so much, they tried to use the blog as a means to get the poster in trouble. I've actually seen a Death Threat that stemmed from a blog post, which of course was turned over to the appropriate US and Mexican authorities! There are crazies out there folks and if you are going to have a presence on the internet then they will find you and sooner or later be offended by what you say and post.

Here's a great example of how people can act negatively and down right crazy about what you post on your blog. A few years ago when we first visited what I now affectionately call "La Cruse", otherwise known as La Cruz near Puerto Vallarta, I wrote a post about how I disliked the anchorage and honestly wasn't that keen on the town either. Well, you would have thought that I just claimed the world to be flat! A long time blog reader and cruiser who frequently made positive comments on our blog flipped out and as he put it in an email to me, "I lost all credibility" with my dislike of La Cruz.

Ok, it happens right? People have different opinions on places they like right? Life goes on and if he doesn't like our blog and my opinions he would just stop reading the blog right? Wrong, crazy people don't act logically; it's what makes them crazy. From that point forward he continued to read the blog and made it his mission in life to criticize and make snide posts, many of which I simply deleted before anyone ever saw them. His computer IP Address had to be banned from making comments on our blog! This fellow cruiser took his dislike of an opinion I expressed on the blog and actually turned it into a fuming, almost pavlovian foaming at the mouth dislike of me and all things THIRD DAY. He bad mouthed me to his friends and anyone that would listen to him around the dock. He wrote me emails saying how sorry he was that people that hadn't been cruising were reading my blog and thinking I knew what I was talking about. He even went as far as to make crazy comments over the VHF radio while passing by an anchorage we were in, who does that stuff? Crazy people, that's who. Of course he spends most of his time in marinas (no problem about it�...I have many "Marina Rat" friends�...ha ha ha), and it no doubt drove him crazy every time I spoke out the real Mexico to be found outside of the Disney land gringo-ville marina complex. I know because every time I talked about it, he made comments and sent me emails that I promptly deleted from the blog and send to the trash bin. If you are going to express your opinions, some people won't like it. Normal balanced people will just let it go, however, the unbalanced and crazy among us won't be able to just move on and let it go, they will in a way turn into a cyber-stalker and you will have to laugh at them as you delete their comments and emails.

In a worse case of blog comments turn nasty, I have a friend that almost lost his JOB due to a crazy on the internet! My friend expressed his opinion about what he viewed as the best model of trailerable sailboat, a MacGregor M or X. He of course had the X and liked it best. But an internet crazy had the M model and went berserk as my friend posted logical comparisons justifying his opinion. Since crazy people do crazy thing (see the connection) the model X owner actually tracked down the personal information of the model M poster and sent a letter to his WORK, notifying them that their employee was posting on the internet during normal working hours! The email contained a log of hundreds of posts with the time stamp in an attempt to get the evil "X Owner" fired form his job! As if that isn't crazy enough, there is the recent case in the news of crazy blog follower tracking down the whereabouts of a woman through her blog and sexually assaulting her. It's a crazy world out there folks and if you are going to put yourself out there on a blog (or anywhere on the internet) you need to know what can happen with the words you say. As for me and my over 1000 blog posts, well I'm too much of a Bozo and hard headed to care about what the crazies say and besides I know how to use the delete and ban button.

Having mentioned the negative aspects of posting our about our lives and opinions on a blog it deserves mentioning just some of the positive aspects of maintaining a blog and why I plan to continue to post as we live aboard. Honestly, I'll get those in my next post because I'm already on page three and just how much time can you take at work to keep up with our blog without looking suspicious and risk someone "ratting you out?"

Besides, the wind just disappeared, so we are changing our plans and trying to make the trip from the back side of Santa Rosa to either San Miguel or even straight onto Port San Luis NOW, rather than waiting.
Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008