SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

View from the Top

15 November 2008 | Amy was pulled up the mast and enjoyed the view
Capt Rich
Still anchored in Bahia De Los Muertos the kids spent the entire morning working on schoolwork some math, English, reading aloud, and writing in their journals. For "recess" they spent some time on deck and since Amy did a great job (no whining or complaining) her reward was a ride in the bosun's chair to the top of the mast to retrieve our lost spinnaker halyard. She brought along a camera and really enjoyed the ride and view. After lunch we will dingy to shore and explore the small town with the crew of Bay Wolf. Bay Wolf is a Santa Cruz 50 racing boat from the Bay Area and Capt Kirk and Sachi are cruising with their two kids Miya (age 11) and Romi (age 8). Our average speed has been around 5kts since we left San Diego, but even in light wind the Santa Cruz 50 is easily averaging 7kts, so we usually end up leaving a few hours ahead of them to even have a chance to keeping up. We plan on this same early departure from Muertos when we make the 60 mile trip to La Paz.

I asked Lori if she had anything she wanted to type up for the blog and got a dirty look as she was grading the kids paperwork and getting their next materials ready. Schooling the two kids takes quite a bit of prep time, which has fallen into Lori's responsibility. I would be glad to let her work on the oil leaks and in the bilge, and trade for the role of teacher, but then the mechanical items would fall apart, as would the kids educational structure.so it's a good division of labor.

Yesterday I made my first batch of bread form scratch using the sour dough starter given to me for my birthday. I split the dough into two halves with one half going into a standard bread loaf pan and the second half being turned into cinnamon rolls! So this morning for breakfast, we had French toast made form the cinnamon rolls and it was GREAT. The bread is finishing up it's rise and will be cooked today, but I'm a little concerned about it's lack of proofing, oh the difficulties of cruising.

With no wind in the anchorage, we have been running all of our fans along with three computers all morning long. The great news is that the solar panels are STILL putting amps into the batter bank and that's even with the Ice Box refrigeration unit keeping the freezer box cold and the fridge at a perfect 40 Deg! So needless to say, we are happy with our 260W of solar. We only go negative during the evening hours.100AH negative to be exact for last night.

We will make some more water when we head to La Paz, but we have been using fresh water like the grasshopper in the famous "Grasshopper and the Ant" parable. Perhaps the grasshopper also had a 45 Gal/hr water maker?

I was trying to get the some of the kids journal entries posted today, but with all the other work they had, they didn't have time to edit their entries after I typed them into word. So you guys will have to check back later for those.

Again, no photos with this post made over the Ham Radio...but I have a great one of Amy at the top of the mast and will update this post when we get to La Paz.
Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008