SV THIRD DAY

Following a 4 year Cruise in Mexico, the Boren Family is living aboard in Morro Bay, CA for the kids to attend Morro Bay High School. Once that is done....who knows....

19 August 2016
31 May 2016
15 May 2016 | The Deck Project Day 1
11 March 2016
23 February 2016 | Morro Bay
13 December 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
27 September 2015
29 July 2015
17 July 2015 | Port San Luis, CA
04 April 2015 | Confessions of a Live Aboard Hobo
08 February 2015 | One Nnight Taco Stand
06 January 2015 | Talking about RO Membranes
23 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Rich was playing with the Camera Again
01 November 2014 | Or 2 Years Back in the States
08 September 2014 | Is it safe in an Anchorage
02 September 2014
09 August 2014 | 2900 Mile Round Trip

Cruising Myth No 3: Cruising is all Rest and Relaxation

11 January 2009 | It’s time for some reality mixed into the cruising dream
Capt Rich
Sailing and working on our boat was always something I did for rest and relaxation during the weekends back in Port San Luis. However, now that we are out cruising we still enjoy sailing, when we have usable wind, but working on the boat has morphed into something we once did for "rest and relaxation" to something we have to do to either keep THIRD DAY from sinking or to keep here systems up and running. See friends, a boat, by her very nature, wants to rest soundly on the bottom of what ever body of water she is floating on and it's the job of a boat owner to constantly fight the forces of nature, the laws of physics and the principals of metal corrosion to keep her afloat. It's not something we boat owners talk about often and share with our non-boating friends: this never ending battle. Perhaps it is because we figure that if we talk openly about all the time and energy it takes to keep a boat floating and functioning we will appear even crazier to our non-boating friends.

"Hey I have a great idea, I think I'm going to cast off cruising on a vessel that I know in advance the forces of nature are conspiring to sink, maim, or render her systems inoperable. And oh by the way, I'm bringing my wife and two kids along and we will have a ball!"

The work required to fend off the forces of nature and keep your vessel afloat and functioning, lead to what we call "Cruising Myth No 3: Cruising is all Rest and Relaxation". Long ago even we bought into the myth because just the word "Cruising" conjures up scenes of a tropical beach, a rum drink, and a hammock hanging between two, perfectly spaced and positioned just right to block the suns rays, coconut trees. The reality, however, is that the person in the hammock is resting only after a morning of bending and contorting his body into inhuman shapes and positions to repair some boat system tucked away in some hard to reach alcove of his boat.

For the aspiring cruisers out there thinking that if they buy a new boat they can somehow sneak around these forces and avoid the cruising axiom, "Cruising is fixing your boat in Exotic places", I have some bad news for you. New boats have just as many needed repairs as our 30yr old boat. Sure, you can decrease the amount of needed repair items by going through every boat system before you cast the dock lines, but despite all the ads in Yachtworld and Latitude 38, there is really no such animal as a "Cruise Ready Sailboat"! That's actually Cruising Myth No 4, by the way, but that's another post. New equipment fails at almost the same rate out here cruising as old equipment, just look at the hole in my bulkhead where my brand new MPPT (Multi Power Point Tracking) solar controller was once mounted! The controller failed while coming down the Baja, so for now, the panels are connected directly to the battery, awaiting the return of the repaired controller. Then there is the brand new autopilot control head that failed along with the multiple other small items that then required the almost standard ½ day repair. A friend on a 6 month old boat had me bring him down a new 100A Balmar alternator when I drove back to San Diego to replace the unit that fried ½ way down the Baja coast. Just hang out in a large cruising destination like La Paz for any length of time and you will see every style of boat and cruiser needing repairs, in short, you can't beat the laws of Physics folks, so instead of trying, just accept it and don't add extra stress and aggravation to yourself and crew when your just rebuilt V-drive suddenly has a 1" hole in the housing, cruising happens!

Now there is plenty of rest and relaxation while out cruising, and we don't want to paint an overly depressing image of 24-7 boat maintenance and repairs, but it's cruising nature to not dwell on all the work involved while out cruising and only post photos and stories of perfect anchorages, sunsets, and landed fish. Just remember that for every photo of a pretty fish, someone aboard that boat had to gut, clean and filet the fish and then wash down the blood from the boat before it dries into a permanent blood trophy stain on the topside. We have also yet to run across a sailboat equipped with a dishwasher, so every knife, plate, pan, and serving bowl used to enjoy that pretty fish will need to be washed and dried by hand. Each time we have caught a fish aboard THIRD DAY the next 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the fish, is spent preparing the fish to the point where you would typically see it for sale in the supermarket back in the States and then cleaning the boat. The words "Fish On" are cruising speak for "Get to Work", but you know what they say about a bad day fishing compared to work!



Comments
Vessel Name: THIRD DAY
Vessel Make/Model: 1977 Hudson Force 50
Hailing Port: Morro Bay, California USA
Crew: The Boren Family: Rich, Lori, Amy, Jason and Cortez the Cat
About: Admiral: Lori Boren, Master: Jason Boren age 16, 1st Mate: Amy Boren age 17
Extra:
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas; and God saw that it was good...... and the evening and the morning were the THIRD [...]
Home Page: http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/
Social:
THIRD DAY's Photos - SV THIRD DAY (Main)
Photos 1 to 3 of 3
1
Laundry Day aboard THIRD DAY in Marina De La Paz
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 1
View of THIRD DAY in marina de La Paz 2
 
1
Images of one of our favorite anchorages
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
A tour of THIRD DAY's galley.
10 Photos
Created 16 August 2009
Photos of our new LED cabinn lights that use 1/10th the amount of power as our old school halogens.
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 July 2009
Welding work in La Paz
5 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Images taken around Santa Rosilia
7 Photos
Created 27 July 2009
Photo Essay of the last two weeks at sea without internet access
6 Photos
Created 11 June 2009
Images of the Cruising Kids
3 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
When you buy a 28yr old boat with the plans of a multi-year cruise, you have lots of work!
6 Photos
Created 27 January 2008