Yesterday was simply one of those days. I set up a 5PM appointment with the refrigeration guy to come and repair the refrigerant leak in the morning, so in the afternoon, I decided to start on my project list. The port sail locker was already emptied out to gain access to the refrigerator compressor, so it made sense to change the fluids in my 6.5Hp Kubota engine that drives my watermaker. I wanted to warm the oil up before sucking it out of the dip stick tube with a small pump, so I fired the engine. It was then that I noticed a little excess play on my high pressure water pump. After I turned off the engine, I grabbed the high pressure pump to inspect the movement and the bracket came off in my hand! The bracket had cracked and was only being held in place by the belt and two hoses attached to the high pressure pump. I've been down this road before with broken brackets, so I didn't panic. Instead I just laughed and called for Lori to come take a look.
An hour later, I had the unit taken apart and stuffed in my backpack for the short trip to Cezar's welding shop. He welded up two items for me last year in San Blas, so I knew where to go for repairs. There was a little excitement getting to Cezar's that provided a little entertainment for the locals working at the fuel dock. I was on the bow of the dingy and Jason was driving. My plan was to hop off the bow and then push Jason and the dingy away form the beach. Well, before I knew it, the dingy had hit bottom and I was flying off of the bow and into the water. I surfaced to the laughter of the locals, took a bow, and sent the also laughing Jason back to the boat. Cezar recognized me when I walked up to his shop and we chatted for a bit about how our families were doing before he jumped into the repair. Thirty minutes later and for only $200 pesos ($15.4US) I was heading back to the boat with a repaired bracket. The engine fluids were then changed, and I was back in business just in time to dingy ashore and pick up the refrigeration repairman.
Alfredo examined the small leak, which resulted in the loss of most of the refrigerant gas he had replaced 48hrs earlier, and informed me that he could repair the leak. He mixed up the black two part paste, which to me looked a lot like the Mexican version of JB Weld, and applied it to the leak and surrounding areas. The material takes 24hrs to cure, so he will return today at 4:30PM to recharge the system with refrigerant and determine if the patch was successful.
In the typical boat project way of a project expanding beyond its original scope, we then decided that since the refrigerator was down for repair, now would be a good time to sand and varnish the teak trim around the refrigerator hatch. So this morning I applied the first coat of varnish and in a few days, if we are lucky, should be able to move our sacred blocks of Mozzarella, Gouda, Blue, and Goat cheese back to the ice box from their current location in the ice chest that we borrowed from SV Eyoni.
For the score card, we have been in San Blas now for 6 days. We have not started any of our preplanned projects but we have worked on two surprise projects of a broken watermaker bracket and the leak in our refrigerator. Well, I should take that back, I did get the fluids changed in the watermaker engine and I did enjoy a Pork Torta on the plaza our first night in San Blas. It's all about priorities and that Pork Torta was certainly higher on my list than moving the battery location from the engine compartment to under the cabin salon floor!