s/v Vingilot - Fiji

11 October 2021
10 October 2021
09 October 2021
08 October 2021
07 October 2021
06 October 2021
05 October 2021
04 October 2021
03 October 2021 | Novatel - Auckland Airport
03 October 2021 | Novatel - Auckland Airport
01 October 2021 | South Pacific
29 September 2021 | South Pacific
29 September 2021 | South Pacific
28 September 2021 | South Pacific
27 September 2021 | South Pacific
26 September 2021 | South Pacific
25 September 2021 | South Pacific
24 September 2021 | South Pacific
23 September 2021 | South Pacific

More High

16 March 2019 | about 30nm southeast of Cape Palliser
Charles
16th March 2019

More High

We have motored for most of the night and all of the day so far. The high has produced settled weather and we grateful for that. But we appear to be in the centre of it, with variable winds. The winds have varied from 2 to 10kts from the southwest to southeast meaning having to put the main out first on port and then on starboard nearly a dozen times in each watch. There is a southwest swell of about 2 meters and a northwest sea - left over from high winds through Cook Strait which are beginning to settle fortunately.The temperature is mild and I have stood my first watch without cardigan and jacket since being off the west coast of the North Island.

There appears to be a tidal current that headed us earlier and we were only making 4 to 5kts and now we are making close to 7 which is awesome.

We have been devastated to hear the news of the senseless shootings in Christchurch. This is not the New Zealand we know and love and like the rest of the country we feel devastated for the families and communities involved. It feels strange to be at sea and so disconnected from it all.

Joy has managed to contact the marina manager Grant at Gisborne for us and it looks like we might be able to secure a berth for Monday night if the weather permits. This will allow us to refuel for what might be a long motor sail home. I am very excited about a new place to explore even it’s to just buy fuel and for one night.

We can still see the impressive Kaikoura Coast 70nm off and Cape Palliser 30nm off to the northwest with all its memories from our Round North Island and Round New Zealand races and the crew have indulged in a lot of reminiscing.

See the accompanying picture of this mornings sunrise over the starboard rail.
Comments
Vessel Name: Vingilot
Vessel Make/Model: Cavalier 45
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/svvingilot/
Social:
Vingilot's Photos - Main
29 Photos
Created 17 May 2021
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 17 April 2021