s/v Vingilot - Fiji

11 October 2021
10 October 2021
09 October 2021
08 October 2021
07 October 2021
06 October 2021
05 October 2021
04 October 2021
03 October 2021 | Novatel - Auckland Airport
03 October 2021 | Novatel - Auckland Airport
01 October 2021 | South Pacific
29 September 2021 | South Pacific
29 September 2021 | South Pacific
28 September 2021 | South Pacific
27 September 2021 | South Pacific
26 September 2021 | South Pacific
25 September 2021 | South Pacific
24 September 2021 | South Pacific
23 September 2021 | South Pacific

Final Notes

19 March 2019 | Westhaven
Charles
20th March 2019

There are lots of acknowledgements that I need to make:

A big thank you for Tom and Vicky for helping me cement the dream of sailing to the Auckland Islands into a reality. That phone call to check if I was still serious is what has started this all off. Also very big thanks for coming up 2 weeks before and provisioning the yacht and tackling the not so minor long list of things that needed to be done before departure. Starting with the applications for permits this whole process started a good 8 months ago. Tom I have really appreciated your ideas around sailing and racing and as you can see I have made some changes to the way I do things and I have a good page of things to do. Seriously there is not a lazy bone in your body. Vicky you have been outstanding - cooking every meal with a smile on your face - even when the rest of us were just barely hanging on, and doing your fair share of the watches. I have watched you doggedly determined to do your bit with handling the yacht. You are amazing. What has really impressed me is that both of you are consummate offshore skippers and yet have always made sure that I knew that I was the skipper on board - that is the mark of being professional at the highest level!

Thank you Simon for your sheer enthusiasm for Enderby Island and for taking on the role of DOC officer and no doubts your good contacts in smoothing this application process over for us. We love your photos and they will help keep the memories alive for this adventure. We just loved having you as part of this sailing adventure. You're knowledge of the Auckland Islands was invaluable and you acted as our personal tour guide. Just awesome mate!

Thank you to Brendan, Tom B and Kevin for being part of the adventure - we loved your company and are sorry that circumstances didn't allow you all to complete the adventure with us. Kevin you have sailed half way round the country and have done the Auckland Islands - makes you a pretty rare breed. Thank you too for all the help with preparations. Brendan having watched you in action I have no doubts about your ability to take your family offshore on your adventure of a lifetime.

Thank you to Joseph Roberts from DOC who helped get the permits sorted and getting our final inspection done.

A big thank you to the Enderby DOC Crew: Aditi, Andrew and Helena for making us feel so welcome in your space. We were grateful for your company and insights and sheer enthusiasm for your mission.

I must acknowledge my colleagues at work for covering for me while I have been away - its been nearly 2 months and I most grateful and am refreshed for having this unusual sabbatical with virtually no contact from work -its being wonderful and the break that I needed.

A special thank you for all our friends on Stewart Island who went to enormous lengths to make us welcome. Gary and Gwen for your help with SSANZ and our lovely mooring which was so welcome. Peter and Sharron who lent me their transport to cart diesel and gas to the dock. Peter and Donni for welcoming me again and for making Joy feel so welcome and of course all the goodies that have enlivened every meal. Vicky has carefully rationed the skipper to ensure its lasted.

A special acknowledgement to the SSANZ team for being understanding about our need to take the weather break. We were supposed to be there to help all the yachts in and only helped with one. We were of course disappointed not to be there for the others as we have a huge affinity for them and their crews and feel part of the group. It's an exclusive club of very few who have managed to do one of the most difficult offshore races and there are special people in that group that have done it twice: Sally Rob and Chris - we are proud of you.

Thank you to all our fan base that have vicariously enjoyed the trip with us. We have not always been able to see your comments when we have been out at sea but have loved reading them when we get internet access.

A big thank you to my daughter Rebekah - who because of school was unable to participate in anyway during this time. Dad is looking forward to taking you sailing Sweetheart

A special big thank you to Joy for letting me take her yacht on an adventure and for letting me have the space to do so and for all your support. I was so proud of you joining us in the Sounds and doing the hard yards around Puysegur and South West Cape (One of the Five Great Southern Capes in the Southern Ocean). I can see that you are still up for adventure - watch this space :)
Comments
Vessel Name: Vingilot
Vessel Make/Model: Cavalier 45
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/svvingilot/
Social:
Vingilot's Photos - Main
29 Photos
Created 17 May 2021
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 17 April 2021