SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

End of an Era

08 December 2010 | Fernandina Beach
Bligh--- darn cold
December 8, 2010
Years ago, let's say about 20 years I think, the Bear and I were really getting into salt water sailing. We were fairly new to coastal sailing at the time and brought our 24 feet Seidelmann sloop to Port Aransas. It was a boat of little comfort but it introduced us to thinking about what was over the horizon. Shortly after that, we sought out more comfort, mostly a non-chemical head and a heater. That took us to the Cal 28 we called Lady J. She was a vast improvement to the Seidelmann and we started to range further up and down the coast. It was not long thereafter that we decided we needed a dinghy to get to shore at some anchorage. We started looking on a very limited budget.
Back at Island Moorings Marina one Saturday morning, there was old inflatable Achilles dinghy on dock with a for sale sign. Next to it was the owner unboxing a new one. We talked and I discovered he was willing to make a deal since he was leaving in a day or two for "out there". We settled on a $100 price which, in retrospect, might have favored him more than us. The thing had a few patches but he swore it held air. Well, it did, but not long at time. By the time I noticed this, he was gone.
We started buying patch kit(s), yup plural, and thought I had it fixed. That is when we named it Patches. We tried to register it with the State only to discover they required the previous owner's signature on a form. I had his signature on a hand written Bill of Sale but that was not enough. I finally appealed to the supervisor saying that old Patches was a hundred dollar dink. With an affidavit from me and a fee almost doubling the original purchase price, we were now the legal owners of an inflatable. We had a grand old time with Patches, all the while adding more to it as we found oysters, fishing hooks and other ways to punch holes in her.
We retired Patches to the barn where she stayed until a friend needed a dink. I mentioned that last time we used Patches it held air, that is with over two gallons of some green, slimy tractor tire goop inside, and that it was his free of charge. That is really a misnomer: free. He took it and since he considered the air worthiness of Patches a challenge, he embarked on an odyssey of repair. I think my patch count was somewhere around 15 or so. He must have added another 25 or so, thus Patches displayed her name proudly. He registered it and again almost duplicated the original price I paid the fellow.
Alas, Patches has retired. He told me via e-mail today that it has gone to the happy recycling grounds; that no one would even take or steal her. I am not sure what the patch count was but I do know we had a grand old time with her exploring the docks and bays of Corpus Christi and Port Aransas. It went with us to South Padre and as far north as Port O'Connor. I never knew how old it was but has served long and well. So long Patches. Just glad it was not me that put the old girl down.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.