SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Hopetown Part 2

28 February 2011
Hopetown Part II

February 28, 2011
We had the pleasure of touring the island with the crew of S/V Winterset on a golf cart. Elbow Cay is not large and we were able to see some very beautiful beaches on both the Atlantic Ocean and Sea of Abaco. There is a very stark difference. The Atlantic side is rough, with many rocks and cliffs. The deep Atlantic swells wash ashore amidst coral rocks of many sizes. Some are an acre or so in size. There are very few real sand beaches but the water goes from indigo to cobalt to emerald to white in a very short distance. The 4500 meter deep water is not far out. Looking to sea, you can see the curvature of Mother Earth and it fills the mind thoughts of square rigged ships carrying gold and silver, soldiers, sailors and pirates, dreamers and refugees. This island most assuredly has been visited by fatigued sailors seeking a calm anchorage and perhaps even something to eat. Just inside the ring of cays of the Abacos, there are many wonderful places to drop the anchor and hide from the ravages of raging seas. There are even today, stands of trees, mangoes and conch and lobsters. There are areas where one can just pass through narrow channels into shallow spots out of the wind or places to hide from pirates. Hopetown was founded in 1785 by Loyalists to the Crown from the American Revolution. The names in the cemetery show many generations from the same families. The cays today are a mix of locals who have lived here for generations, visiting cruisers, descendents of slaves and new enclaves of Haitians. The latter are generally illegal squatters and the locals are not happy of their presence.
Hopetown is arguably the most authentically preserved of all of the Abacos. It has a proper lighthouse whose light still rotates in a mercury bearing and is lit by pressurized kerosene. It must be wound every 2 hours by hand. In short, it is one of the last manual lighthouses in the world. It has lured and welcomed sailors since 1836. For more on the place see the following link: http://www.visithopetown.com/lighthouse.html .
To get to the Atlantic shore you have to merely walk over the tall hill in Hopetown opposite of the harbor. The first look is candy for the eyes. I am sure it is knarley in the stormy months but today was a double wowzer. Too bad our camera cannot capture that first impression. Put this place on your bucket list.

Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.