SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Time to Go

06 May 2012 | Scott's Creek, Portsmouth
Cold, foggy, rain
TIME TO GO
May 6, 2012
Ok, so we have been here long enough that we know our way around the area without the gps. Of the three boats here that we have gotten to know, one of them, S/V Intrepid, is a boat with whom we sailed the Abacos. It was good to learn this is their home marina. Another boat, S/V Willet, is one that we met by radio after having done part of the AIWW south of here. We actually met the crew when we both took slips here who left this morning. He was a Corpsman in Vietnam and we had much to discus. They are heading north toward their home port in New Jersey. A boat just arrived late yesterday that we think we met in the islands two years ago. They plan to leave today heading to their home port in Baltimore. It appears that we are still ahead of the explorers heading north for the summer. Most, if not all we have met are heading north to home ports.
That brings us to our departure. We thought we would leave Wednesday but the forecast calls for a 50% chance for rain that day. We might delay by one day, or not. Of course, Scurv gets half a vote on the idea. The Chesapeake phase will be different than the ICW days getting here. Literally, we will take the next month or so exploring those places suggested to us by “locals”. The list grows daily.
It is curious to us how ones perspective changes when first deciding to stay for a month in one place then when the time draws near to leave. The longer in a slip, the more “settled” the boat gets to the point that the cabin is rearranged into a more home like configuration. When the departure date approaches, stuff starts to be stowed for sea. That stack of guides, books and magazines won’t ride there underway. So, do something with them. The stowed charts and instruments materialize as tools, kitchen stuff and other items find their way back in their proper sea space. Hopefully, the cabin rug will dry before departure lest the perfect mold machine populates the cabin with fuzzy spots. The last load of laundry and the provisions become a priority. It is sort of like prepping for a trip that has an indeterminate end date. Scurv starts to relish his “dirt trips” since he does not realize that there are more to come elsewhere.
Whilst taking Scurv on a dirt trip, we were selected by a tiny tick. Scurv talked it into chewing on me. After all such parasites that have called me “home” over the years, why is it that this one is causing paranoia? Did that one tick qualify as the golden BB? Anyway, I am wondering if the blue stuff we squirt down Scurv’s back will work on humans.

Picture is of the Portsmouth waterfront looking at Norfolk waterfront
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.