SV Why Knot- No plan, no schedule, no destination.

The passing of my life mate has ended the cruise of Why Knot. Thanks to those that followed her voyages. It gave us wonderful memories and a heck of a life

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
14 October 2015
16 February 2015 | Port Aransas
18 December 2014
02 December 2014 | Port Aransas, Texas
09 October 2014 | Port Aransas
28 September 2014 | City Marina, Port Aransas
04 September 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
01 September 2014
24 August 2014
13 August 2014
09 August 2014 | Clear Lake Shores, Texas
01 August 2014
13 July 2014 | Clear Lake, Texas
29 June 2014 | Clear Lake/Canyon Lake
17 June 2014
15 June 2014 | Solomons, MD- same old slip- not moved
12 June 2014
28 May 2014

Arrival

30 May 2012 | Solomons, MD
Rain all day
ARRIVAL
May 30, 2012
We are indeed fortunate first to be living our dream and secondly to be sailing in an area entirely new to us. Most sailors sail in the “home waters” for most of their lives. Some occasionally charter in the islands for new adventures and some get to stretch the cruise into areas they have never visited. That would be us. We sailed our home waters for so long that we knew almost, if not all of the little nooks and special places. Newcomers enjoyed hearing about places which looked interesting but not enough to attempt the approach. Flato Cut comes to mind. Only the locals ventured there. For over 20 years we stayed in the same area. Now that we are actually using charts to find new places, as opposed to sailing to the Hole in the Wall, take a left and head to this or that, we have come to enjoy something many, if not most sailors never see. We look at the charts armed with someone’s suggestion about a place and sail there. We don’t know what we will actually see since charts do not show scenery or the ambiance of a place. Where once we would sail ten miles to an anchorage or out the harbor to what we think is one of the most beautiful anchorages we’ve seen, Lydia Ann Channel, we now look at three or four times that distance for a daily passage to unknown places. What it must have been to those Europeans sailing this bay for the first time. They had little idea that the anchorages and backwaters would offer protection and bountiful foods. So, there is a slight, very slight similarity with us as we look at the charts and guess. We know the water will let us enter or not. We know currents and tides. What we don’t know is just how much we will be rewarded by the visit.
As we rounded the Patuxent River headlands, we started to view the place as slightly different. They are all different but this place offered a warm surprise given the weather of the day. It is nice to arrive on a sunny, mild breeze day as opposed to blowing like stink and raining. It was not just a river but a wide one, like most on the Bay. It had nice trees blended with houses, most of which date back a many decades. It offered up an inviting approach to the harbor and the channel was marked well. Once in the harbor the surprise was that sailboats outnumber motor vessels by a wide margin. This boys and girls is a sailor’s harbor.
Comments
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 411 #24 built in Marion, SC
Hailing Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Crew: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
About:
Each other's only date in life. 30 years sailing Texas waters and now on the cruise of dreams (even though there are days when it is hard to believe). About Why Knot Why Knot survived Hurricane Katrina whilst in New Orleans. Year Built: 1998 L.O.A.: 41'-8" Hull Length: 40'-5" L.W.L. [...]
Extra: Scurv (ABSD= able bodied sea dog) signed on in October 2012. Scurv is a toy Schnauzer

Dreams in Works

Who: Bear (Jo) and Bligh (Howell) Cooper and Scurv
Port: Port Aransas, Texas
Our greatest challenge was to actually bring in the dock lines at our home port and get going. Next came the actual act of living aboard which is way different than weekending or the occasional extended sail. This is life avoiding causing your mate to drop stuff or run into bulkheads. This is having so much stuff aboard that one has to inventory. This is life without land transportation in strange places. This is meeting folks and hating to say good bye, then looking forward to the time when courses cross again, to the surprise of seeing them at some unexpected place.
Why Knot left Texas in January of 2010 bound for no particular harbor. We made ports of call all around the Gulf Coast to the Keys then north up the Atlantic Coast and to the Abacos.